Andres Manniste on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:05:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Art and cell phones or the social networking environment

When compared to a decade ago, the Internet appears to be increasingly
homogenous but it has also evolved. Social networks, designed to be
practical rather than aesthetic, function in a manner similar to cell
phones. Although young people are initially attracted by a graphic user
interface, they rapidly adapt to network architecture due to a
familiarity with diverse technologies. Social networks work because they
allow an idealized content that can be easily accessed. I am interested
in these networks because they provide an interesting social and
cultural matrix for art making. They are narcissistic by nature because
they are a mirror of the user and for the same reason, social networking
is fundamentally ontological.

Cell phones are restricted in some places because they are seen as
telephones. In fact, a cell phone is a multi-purpose device
fundamentally different from a telephone. With its technology, the user
can establish a network presence. Where I work, cell phones have been
formally banned from studios and classrooms. The idea is not unique,
with movie theatres, museums and concert venues regulating the
appropriateness of such devices. A majority of my colleagues supported
this rule because they thought that students were using telephones
during lectures (which I had always understood as an impolite reflection
on my ability as a teacher). My students of course, immediately
responded to the regulation by creating a network project that required
the presence of cell phones in the classroom.

"Not getting it" seems to stem from a reactionary posture rather than
from ignorance. To me there is a difference between having knowledge and
"getting it". It is the distinction between understanding and realising.
I have colleagues who, despite considerable instruction, still have
trouble with using email. The problem is not about ignorance but in
their difficulty adapting an accumulated body of knowledge to the larger
scale of a new situation.

I think that I once assumed that a cell phone was a telephone. I had
difficulty understanding the need to communicate so often and apparently
superficially. I found it difficult to accept the transformation of the
notion of the privacy of a telephone call into the public display of a
mobile call. Of course, it is not a telephone although the device can be
used for voice communication. The cell phone is also a multi-purpose
computer, a game console, a still and video camera, an email system, a
text messenger, a carrier of entertainment and business data but most
importantly, the cell phone is a portable network node. What I saw as
unnecessary calls and text messages were simply "Pings". A Ping or an
echo request is a network program that allows a user to verify that a
particular address exists and is operating -- simply a method to get the
attention of another party online. The cell phone is an immensely
significant social and cultural phenomenon because through it users have
already adapted to the architecture of the network.

Artist and theorist Olia Lialina
(http://www.contemporary-home-computing.org/vernacular-web-2/) noted a
certain presence and alchemy in amateur web pages that is lacking in an
increasingly homogenous interface. Lialina speaks of the loss of
naivete, adding that in a commercial context, it is easier to create and
market an established model that tends to mimic the look of other media
such as print, television or cinema.

The interface of the Internet appears to be increasingly homogenous but
this also means that it has evolved. Social networks, designed to be
practical rather than aesthetic, function in a manner similar to cell
phones. I think that the Internet interface looks different from
classical homepages because it is not the same thing. Inherent within
the coding of a personal web page, is the ability to create a unique
graphic user interface (GUI). The individual determines the aesthetics
and the content. A classical home page is a public portal that gives
access to private communication not unlike a telephone. In proprietary
GUIs (like "Google" or "Neopets") or social networks (like "Facebook",
"Orkut" or "Myspace"), the webpages are being used like cell phones,
where privacy might be incidental to the desire to have a presence.
Social networking providers offer a sparse aesthetic, often relying on
text or a limited choice of designs but they also have more practical
objectives that include pathways that communications technologists work
in for commercial interests. I believe that what is happening,
especially through social networks, is an evolution similar to the
transformation of the telephone to the cell phone.

Young people are initially attracted to the Internet through the graphic
user interface but once they understand some elementary code, they begin
to see the network as a structure. In my experience, when I teach about
art on the Internet, I find that my students go through three stages of
understanding. First, I spend a lot of time discussing the GUI because
the GUI is overwhelming. Because it is everywhere, it is the way that
young people learn how to see things. They are used to television, used
to movies, used to a piece of paper, so when they actually look at a
computer it is a great abstraction for them to imagine that what they
see on the screen is a set of co-ordinates. That takes a while to get
across to them. Then I tiptoe into simple programming, a little html,
some animation, and some things that seem magical. When they begin to
understand programs through making webpages and trying out small
scripts, they almost automatically jump into a "getting it" realization
of the nature of Internet-based art. I am of a generation that saw
computers as impressive hardware, equipment and gadgets to be mastered.
The young people that I see understand computers as electronic networks.
They were born into cell phones, iPods and the Network.

Social networks are attractive because they allow the user to specify an
idealized content that can be accessed at leisure by both the client and
the server. I am especially interested in the conceptual structure of a
social network for art making because it can provide considerable access
to a wide range of people. The only practical guideline for working on
the Internet has been to make things that you are willing to make
public. This is especially true for social networks that are meant for
fun and not high security. On a social network, I am less motivated to
tell the world about myself (as I might through my artwork) than I am at
specifying what I wish the world to know about myself. In this sense, it
is very narcissistic. I collect friends and information and in a manner
similar to the cell phone, I can choose when to connect or whether I am
simply verifying a node. Social networks are "pinging" at a new level of
sophistication. Features allow me to discreetly find out what happens or
who is on-line at the same time as I am.

What interests me about making art on or with social networks appears to
be related to the conceptual shape of a network with its nodes and
gathering points. When I look at social networks, I am less interested
in particular servers or code algorithms than I am in the emerging
appearance (phasis) of electronic communication. Social networking is no
less ephemeral than the flesh and blood kind, so I do not expect any one
network to endure indefinitely. The mutability of technology means that
there will inevitably be other things. I have however noticed slight
anomalies that I might associate with art making in the otherwise smooth
fabric of proprietary interfaces. I realise that there is some interest
in writing applications for "Facebook" or creating phantom avatars, but
to me the social network is primarily a cultural model that can be
applied to understanding who we are. This is already evident in the
emergence of hierarchical posturing in friend lists and the presence of
imaginary people or vague social causes that have to be distinguished
from flesh and blood people and serious interest groups. On the other
hand, social access to 100 million people is something that cannot
easily be ignored by an artist and there is an aesthetic here, where one
can work outside of corporate sponsorship, art world management or
commercial bias.

Social networks are narcissistic by nature because they act as a mirror
for the user. For this reason, social networking technology is
ontological. They are less about transmitting information than using the
architecture of the network to establish an ontology. When I look at a
1024 X 768 pixel computer screen, it provides me a GUI that is really
quite standard. On this screen, I might be looking at some erudite web
page addressing some obscure philosophy or I might be amusing myself
with something very silly, but it is all delivered through the same
interface. However, the process of looking at the screen, over time,
reflects who I am. Servers have been specifically created to this
purpose, for example, "Del.icio.us", a social bookmarking service or
"Twitter" for text messages. In the reflection that I see on the
monitor, I begin to construct an idea of my self, which has always been
a very difficult thing anyone, since no human can perceive his or her
face. I can see a reflection of my face or rely on my belief system to
compare my face with others, but as the Philosopher Julia Kristeva
(1983) mentions, in her discussion of "Narcissus", the reflection of a
face does not tell you what you look like but rather it tells you that
you are as ephemeral as the reflection itself. So why does someone look
at "Facebook"? I think that at the present it is less entertainment than
a reflecting mirror. This image helps to understand who I am and what I
am at an existential level. This is what interests me about the Internet
at this moment. As an artist I find that social networking technology is
ontological. As the corollary to Lyotard's (1979) notion of obsolescence
suggests: all things that are translated into computer code are of
primary importance because they will ultimately determine the shape of
culture.

Kristeva, Julia (1983) "Histoires d'amour". Editions Paris: Denöel
(Folio essais). p.133.
Lyotard, Jean-François. (1979). "La Condition postmoderne". Paris: Aux
Éditions de Minuit. p. 13.