s|a|m on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 02:49:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> we feel fine ...

Hi,

Please ignore if you know - but an interesting example of creative
passive surveillance on a mass scale!

http://www.wefeelfine.org/

Since August 2005, We Feel Fine has been harvesting human feelings from
a large number of weblogs. Every few minutes, the system searches the
world's newly posted blog entries for occurrences of the phrases "I
feel" and "I am feeling". When it finds such a phrase, it records the
full sentence, up to the period, and identifies the "feeling" expressed
in that sentence (e.g. sad, happy, depressed, etc.). Because blogs are
structured in largely standard ways, the age, gender, and geographical
location of the author can often be extracted and saved along with the
sentence, as can the local weather conditions at the time the sentence
was written. All of this information is saved.

Enjoy, Sam