second loop on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:34:11 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Summer Solstice at the Isle of Wyrms

http://secondloop.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/i-am-a-dragon-summer-solstice-weekend-celebration/

The excitement of becoming a dragon on the Isle of Wyrms has been one
of the most interesting and fun things I have done yet in Second Life.
Click here to see my flickr set [
http://www.flickr.com/photos/azdelslade/sets/72157605762648389/  ]of
the whole process, which describes how it went.

There is so much craft and love and energy that obviously goes into
this process, from the HUD Token which you use to register for the
drawing for the adult dragon eggs, which update your registration and
winner status, to the avatars themselves, to the large community of
dragons who were so helpful and joyful throughout the entire process.

Its interesting, while the dragon avatar doesn't seem to have that
aspect of allowing you to look like the sexy person you might want to
be in real life, it does have its own particular appeal in imagining
yourself as a massive, majestic, magical creature. The community on
the Isle of Wyrms is obviously very serious about allowing people to
have this experience and to enjoy imagining this fantastic world. It
demonstrates, for me, a very different kind of SL experience. Also,
much of the Isle of Wyrm is PG, although there are areas that are
mature. When I went to a sandbox to hatch my egg over in Limbo, there
were some humans nearby in fancy chain outfits engaging in some
submission while lots of eager humans transformed into their new adult
dragon forms around them.

Go to the gallery and see the wonders from yourself, and don't miss
the amazing hydra photos. I wish I could've captured video of the
hydra, hovering before me with its moving molten fire skin and its
three heads swinging back and forth, it was one of the most impressive
moments I've ever had in this world of Second Life. Even the silly
dance party seemed such an outpouring of joy and nervous excitement,
its own impressive experience, if a really silly one.

The dragon HUD is also very interesting, allowing you to customize the
colors and textures of every aspect of your avatar: scales, belly,
horns, spines, wings, nails. It also allows gestures like aura, roar,
breath, wing and tail movement.

Its definitely going to take some time to get used to this new form
however, as it is so massive, and I'm sure I'll have to shapeshift
back to other avatars, as many places don't allow dragons, such as
Midian. I realized today that being a dragon just make so much sense
in SL, as dragons are magical creatures known to shapeshift and
teleport.

Check out the Isle of Wyrm [
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Cathedral/120/154/32/ ] soon, while there
are still lots of new, excited dragons around stretching their wings.
There are also lots of other interesting people around, as I saw a
drow the other day, and there are always cute hatchlings zipping
around happy to answer questions, or offer you a cookie.