Brian Holmes on Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:52:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Cybernetics and the Internet

Hello everyone,

Way back whenever, Nettime gave itself the goal of developing an
immanent critique of the Internet - the quintessential "open system." In
the eyes of perhaps a majority the time for such a critique is now over,
the net has stabilized and you might as well do a critique of your
doorbell or your toaster. Some nettimers go on valiantly hacking into
Web 2.0. I was always less interested in the toaster itself and more in
the ringing at the door, so I've tried to move from the immanence of the
electronic environment to the genealogy of the militarized American
society that produced it. And I've tried to show how the development of
the cybernetic discourse has accompanied the USA's metamorphosis into
liberal empire. The immanence of networked communications is exactly
what we just experienced in a month of excruciating financial crisis.
The crisis is not over and it's clear that the critique of the
communications networks has not been completed.

One of the ways for a cultural critic to move across this strange,
crisis-ridden "ground" that we now share - that is, the virtual ground
of real-time global communications - is to sink historical probes
through the contemporary media field, in order to connect with past
metaphors of technological change, seized within their social and
material conditions of emergence. What this allows you to do is to
follow the evolution, not just of mutating artifacts, epistemologies and
organizational forms, but also of the enigmatic images that people have
used both to grasp those changes and to ward them away. History itself
then becomes immanent in the present, and you end up with a lot more
handles on current situations - and with a lot more impatience towards
the reigning consensus, which according to the old law of the commodity
is usually based on a total denegation of the social and political
stakes of whatever you might have to deal with.

Inspired by conversations on this list, I've been trying out this
approach for a year or two, taking my departure points from Adam
Curtis's fascination for game theory and the Nash equilibrium, or from
Norbert Wiener's speculations on "God & Golem, Inc." I've just finished
a critical review of Lutz Dammbeck's film, Das Netz - which imho is the
best existing documentary about cybernetics and the Internet. Lutz's
film focuses purely on the symbolic: that is, those points of
condensation where societal laws and norms reveal themselves, not just
with, but *as* their own contradictions. What I do is retrace some of
the theoretical and historical backgrounds from which each of those
symbolic elements springs, and in that way give some discursive depth to
the extraordinary insights and scandalous affects of the film. I've also
developed some unexpected consequences of Warren McCulloch's notion of
"experimental epistemology." Since so many people are passionately
interested in this stuff I guess there may be some objections! What's
more, I have hidden a bizarre sub-agenda in this piece, and given the
current context, I want to lay it bare for your examination.

After reflecting for years on that "thing" called political economy
since 1945, I have become convinced that it, like cybernetics, has
developed according to two key organizational paradigms, neither of
which ever managed to cancel each other out and both of which continue
to inform the present that has forgotten them. The first corresponds to
the military desire for command and control: it uses feedback
information to coordinate vast logistical supply lines of industrial
production and distribution, it organizes people into a functional
hierarchy, and it always seeks to home in on a predetermined target
(production, sales, efficiency, etc). These were the major issues of the
Fordist economies of scale in the 1930s-60s, which gradually caught up
to the global scale of simultaneous multi-theater operations attained by
the military in WWII. Clearly, the kinds of logistical control at a
distance provided by first-generation cybernetic systems were key to
this expansion of industry and trade.

The second paradigm is a self-reflexive one, which was there from the
very inception of cybernetics but which, in economic terms, corresponds
closely to the need for a new type of semiotic production and
consumption arising after the saturation of the developed world with
consumer durables. This same self-reflexivity (of the kind that Soros,
for example, never ceases discussing) is part of the early-1970s shift
to a financialized economy, which, as Keynes pointed out long ago, is
not about who wins the beauty contest, but who people think will win it:
bets on bets on bets on bets, market reflexivity.... The movement toward
semiotic production was also a way to mediate a much more complicated
and fractious society, where discipline was no longer the name of the
game and methods had to be found to integrate each person's individual
motivations into some kind of flexible give-and-take with the functional
requirements of larger organizations. So you get very sophisticated
strategies which include room for the construction of different
purposes, multiple-stakeholder scenarios and the like. In this second
phase of postwar political economy, during the 1980s and 90s,
"second-order" cybernetics and complexity theory were put into
managerial practice everywhere, creating fractal organizational forms
and technologies that can interface with a far wider range of cultures,
desires and individuals. The "open systems" of networked communications
are the technological face of what (neo)liberal thinkers, in the wake of
Popper, call the "open society."

The 'second-order economics" which we have known for the last thirty
years, and which reached its peak in the new economy, is only dealt with
very briefly at the end of the paper on Das Netz. I will include a lot
more on it in a following article on Guattari and cybernetics, which
I've been writing in parallel to this one.

What seems to happen in our own time, since 2000, is that we are
confronted with the atavistic return of a Cold War mentality, dominated
by the command-and-control model of target-seeking, even while the
ecstatic neoliberal reflexivity of global finance has gone on building
its semiotic castles in the air. Two technopolitical paradigms, whose
problematic origins most people have just forgotten, have spun out of
control at the same time. I think that Lutz Dammbeck, perhaps more fully
than any other single artist, has crystallized the inherent paradoxes of
these two paradigms, along with the presence of their recalcitrant
Others - those human universes that the cybernetic society effectively
excludes. As you probably know, Dammbeck's film is not only about
cybernetics but also about terrorism, of a home-grown American variety.

The documentary can be obtained on DVD, by ordering it over the Internet
(and there's  a torrent out there for the German version). As for my
article, it is immanent to our medium:

http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2008/10/13/filming-the-world-laboratory

best, Brian