Michael H Goldhaber on Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:15:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Zittrain's Foundational Myth of the Open Internet

Felix,

While I bow to your greater knowledge of the history of cybernetics, I
can't agree with what you seem to be suggesting about its effects in
practice.

First of all, the political focus on emotionally charged issues (such
as transubstantiation, slavery, anti-semitism, prohibition) goes back
much earlier than cybernetics or control theory. Second, despite the
theoretical hope to "incentivize" various actions or stances, it has
often not panned out in reality, often because people either find ways
ot use the incentives for ends considerably in contradiction to what
was intended, or because the incentives themselves become political
issues. For instance, in order to induce men to work, American welfare
laws excluded families with both a father and a mother present, but
that just led to more children born out of wedlock. Current political
efforts to incentivize the choice of fuel efficient cars by imposing
a higher gasoline tax have met with very stiff resistance against any
such tax. Such examples could easily be multipllied.

As for abortion, it only became an issue when it was finally
legalized. If I may mention anything as mundane as the New Yorker, it
recently crreid an article by Ryan Lizza made the point that abortion,
etc., became an issue for many working class voters only when the
Democratic Party stopped worrying about them or trying to improve
their lives. That is an odd sort of incentivization.

Best,
Michael