Andres Manniste on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:24:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Report on Facebook desk democracy

Thank you Ana, for your thoughtful response.

I sent this one out as a "Hail Mary Pass”, followed by a "Whoops, did I
really press the send button?" I tend to agree that Facebook can serve
political purposes and does have a very real use as a platform for
dialogue about events and so on. I think that what I was addressing was
the problem with, for example, Avatars. The devil knows Latin as well,
and these things can be manipulated, a traditional problem with direct
democracy. We are in the middle of a Provincial election here, and I
received an irate email signed by many prominent artists about how there
were massive cuts coming to the arts in secondary schools. As it turned
out, this hoax, composed four years earlier and identified as such, was
simply re-released verbatim. Facebook can be manipulated in the same
manner and I am actually interested in watching groups, real or
imaginary, appear and vaporise. I tend to think that this represents the
true nature of Facebook and so that is why I tend to make light of the
entire social networking phenomenon. Because I teach this stuff, I am,
of course, subscribed to practically all of them but it was the
interface of Facebook that intrigued me the most. Where a personal
website or a blog aesthetically resembles the originator and one can get
a pretty good idea of who you are dealing with, the vanilla facade of
Facebook conceals truth. You can create whatever persona you wish and
any unique aspects of personality disappear in the standardized blue and
white. I can certainly find many noble uses with social networking but I
really do think that it will ultimately extinguish itself to be replaced
by another idea; consequently I choose to have fun with it.

I certainly think that there are creative means by which some people are
working with social networks. The processor and the network together can
be construed as a dynamic model of thought processes (Gabora, 2002). An
idea that circulates on the network travels as a notion through a
potential mind that is unique in that it encompasses the minds of
others. Internet and network art expresses mental images, as they are
experienced and through the processor, thinking itself can be explored
taking shape as virtual memories and metaphors. On the network this
circulation itself can become the work of art.  I think that with this
bit, I was rather addressing pretentiousness and the perpetuation of
modernist hierarchies  as opposed to truly exploring the ephemeral
nature of social networking. The nice thing about network based art
practices is that they need not fit institutional models.

Liane Gabora http://www.vub.ac.be/CLEA/liane/papers/CandC/CandC.htm

Andres

Ana Peraica wrote:

> Hi Andres,
>
> many of these people are just avatars : ) another thing which is
> interesting is how it happens that the message account is blocked (it
> happened to some people)
 <...>