Calin Dan on Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:17:14 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Call for support: why?

Dutch culture coined a very useful term for evaluating the position of an
art discourse in relation with societal issues such as the ones questioned
by the Pirates ... ; it is called autonomy.

Autonomy entitles art to float freely in the interstices of the social
fabric, to experiment and to steer in unexpected directions. When experiment
and steering relate directly to the fabric itself, the art discourse looses
autonomy and gains relational power (in the sense designed by Nic.
Bouriaud). Relational art has an increased chance to acknowledgement, but
also - naturally - to criticism, coming not only from the comfortable inner
circles, but also from the structures to which the respective discourse
 >relates<. Needless to say that both concepts (autonomous, relational) have
no axiological power; they are not about quality, they are about method.

The student work that generated this thread is obviously relational. So, it
got its moment of attention, including censorship. All unfolded as planned,
I suppose; if not, then there was something flawed in the initial planning
and/or in the authors' / tutors' expectations.

One might say that the whole issue is about the unexpected reactions of the
general users, who rejected the project. Well, this was after all (or wasn't
it?) an art project - so people are free to reject it as they please.

Another could argue that the whole fuss is about the IP playing the watch
dog for Amazon. Well again, there is probably a learning curve in the way
corporate environments deal with tactical art projects; something to think
about, maybe.

What under-streams all aspects of the discussion till here is the old double
standard mentality lurking in our (self)perception as artists and cultural
workers: we would like to be autonomous (i.e. free of consequences for our
decisions), but also relational (therefore socially efficient), and - of
course - vastly accepted. Too bad, as in the end art is neither autonomous
nor relational; it is just one of the multitude of human manifestations
competing for attention in a surcharged environment.