Patrice Riemens on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:06:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Konstantina Soureli: Athens fragmentation?

Bwo INURA list

Dear Tino,

Yes, it would be very valuable to share perspectives among Inurians.
We all need it. Both of these calls are related to the Athens
Polytechnic occupation, solidarity and common causes around the world.
And there are many more calls every day that make it happen. From
students, immigrants, youth, workers, prisoners, communities and so on
coming together. There is not much time for translations but I am sure
a lot of these have reached you.

(context: there had been two, apparently contradictory, calls for
solidarity demos)

I am in Berlin, not in Athens right now. These are extraordinary
times. People in Greece are on the streets every day in tens of
thousands and whenever possible report exceptional things. Because the
state system (especially police, courts & prisons as you have seen)
systematically ignones, misrepresents and punishes (=murders literally
on occasion) everyone around (except the 'unknown' few). Along with
everything these days and a distinguished history of Greek and global
struggles stand for. We don't know what comes next in Greece and
abroad, worse dystopias or something else. But we will be there.

In the larger order of things, we can define what happens these days
as we see fit. Wide-ranging and heterogeneous, yes. With conflicts, of
course. But this time around not fragmented by space/time/ideological
prerogative/group/issue, and consciously confronting such tendencies
that get on the way. On the contrary, we haven't seen people more
politicized and the left more unified in a very long time. Will it
remain so in the long-term? This depends on all of us too though we
cannot tell yet. But perhaps next comes what a new generation in
Greece, Europe and around the world considers a world and a left of a
new kind in the making. Beyond what we all know and have been allowed
to imagine I hope.

Konstantina