Richard Barbrook on Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:40:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precarity (onecatholicsystematically usurping it)

            	----- Original Message -----
            	From: "Leutha Blissett" leutha@sierraleonelive.com
            	To: richard@imaginaryfutures.net
            	Sent: Mon 16/02/09 18:47
            	Subject: Fwd: Re: Fwd: nettime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precarity (onecatholicsystematically usurping it)
Hi Richard,

Thanks for that.

Check:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%82%ACuroMayDay

Perhaps you might like to draw the attention of nettime subscribers to this!

Eurocentrism

Some people criticize[weasel words] the EuroMayDay for being self-evidently eurocentric. Further concern has caused the re-use of the term Neuropa (2004 mayday callout) which had been coined by African-American intellectual W.E.B. Du Bois at the outbreak of WWII to refer to Hitler's plans for Europe.

Alex Foti, one of the prime movers, stated in an interview titled Precarity and n/European identity: "If we don't act now, we're looking at a future of precarity for all Europeans. Because the idea is to make us a new Asia or a new America - not a new Europe." Also the declaration that "our political space is Europe"[1] is seen by some[weasel words]}} as evidence of eurocentrism.

Those involved disagree with these criticisms, pointing out no borders and migrant solidarity actions that are part of EuroMayDay events.

all the best

Fabian