Felix Stalder on Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:49:52 -0500 (EST)

Re: <nettime> Cybernetics and the Internet

On Thursday, 5. March 2009, Florian Cramer wrote:

> Unfortunately, these misunderstandings thoroughly pervade the field
> - and, most importantly: utopias - of "new media" studies, art and
> activism. I wonder what will be left of it as soon as people wake up
> and realize that the hopes they put into "open systems that organize
> themselves" have been just another god delusion.

Self-flagellation is a time-honored practice, but I don't really see who
within new media -- other than right-wing libertarians in the 1990s -- put
forward seriously such an idea. Nettime has always been about the critique
of such ideas and the introduction of politics, culture, history, you name
it, into the technological discourse and practices. So, I'm not sure which
people might "wake up" one day.

The problem that Florian highlights is much older, namely the import of
metaphors from the natural into the social sciences (and, by extension,
politics), hoping to profit from their prestige. This goes all the way back
to the beginning of social sciences themselves. Auguste Compte (1798-1857)
envisioned a social physics, Herbert Spencer translated the evolutionary
theories of his day into Social Darwinism, and so on, right to today, when
network theorists like Watts and Barabasi speak of a "new social physics".

Such imports -- unless they are very lose and metaphorical -- never work
and the attempt to short-cut political processes by references to some
natural law (or, as it is put today, some pervasive statical patterns) is a
sure sign of right wing politics.

Though I would really hate to see the notion of "self-organization" to be
reduced to some insidious cybernetic fantasy. There is a rich anarchist
tradition that uses the term quite differently, and if you look at actual
activists projects, say indymedia, they are much closer to that tradition
than to some "god delusions" when they speak of self-organization.

And, the Internet does play a real role here. Network technologies have
vastly increased the ability to scale voluntary cooperation, which I think
is a very important source of social change today (not always for the
better, of course, be bad guys have internet too).

--- http://felix.openflows.com ----------------------------- out now:
*|Mediale Kunst/Media Arts Zurich.13 Positions.Scheidegger&Spiess2008
*|Manuel Castells and the Theory of the Network Society. Polity, 2006
*|Open Cultures and the Nature of Networks. Ed. Futura/Revolver, 2005