Heiko Recktenwald on Sat, 6 Jun 2009 23:40:17 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What has copyright to do with democracy?

Good question, I asked the same, when I read some remarks claiming a
connection. IMHO is is plain nonsense!

Your argument that copyright is a monopoly is weak. You could say the
same about property. Property as a monopoly against thieves. Both are
absolute rights against everybody  In contrast to contracts that give
rights against certain people only.

And that printers had such a monopoly is weak as well. Printers did what
they wanted. As a matter of fact. Like thieves and users of P2P networks
worldwide do what they want.

But rights may be weak as well in certain situations. When you dont
secure your bicycle in certain parts of some towns thieves may come and
steal it.

People may not care about your copyright as well. Copyright is usefull
in the internet too, see Google v. the publishers, but the enforcement
is rather difficult. It is fun to have a library of mp3s. And unlike
bicicles that are still expensiv mp3s cost nothing to produce as far as
copying is concerned. Nobody believes the arguments of the music
industry when it comes to mp3s from the 70s, oldies. The catalogue of
the internet is much bigger than the catalogue. In the case of google
books as well.

Copyright is more or less just disapearing in certain cases in the times
of the internet by what people actually do. But this is anarchy, not
democracy. The natural status according to Hobbes. I would not even call
it a revolution. A revolution is some new law, here we have nothing.

The most interesting part in that game play the mp3-search-engines and
organisers of catalogues like Piratebay. Search engines may sell their
result and Piratebay is an open invitation to detectives to find out
what certain people that really exist have on their harddrive. Search
engines and Piratebay etc are hard organisations in a soft game. I would
boycott boths, well, P2P does not work without, but I boycott P2P as
well. Servers like, you know the names, are hard organisations as well,
but they dont serve such a clear purpose and this is their strenght. All
you need is google and your brain.

H.

Karl-Erik Tallmo schrieb:

> In view of recent debates, not the least those in Sweden, I wrote
> this article about the democratic aspects of copyright legislation.
> Many people today claim that copyright and democracy are incompatible
> concepts, that copyright infringes the privacy of readers and other
> cultural consumers etc. I believe it is not that simplistic:
 <...>