Chris Leslie on Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:43:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Killed by Google / Ucciso da Google

This is terrible, even if your account does come "back from hell," as
you say, you have lost a lot of time.

Google mail (unlike Yahoo) does have a free POP option, which means
users can configure their e-mail applications to download their mail
from Google. This seems counterintuitive, because Google sells itself
on a huge storage space for all your e-mail and makes you believe you
will never have to back it up, but as you mention, if you leave your
data with Google, it is their property. I hope Google will at least
allow you to download your mail.

I remember when Google first came on the scene. Friends, coworkers,
students everywhere in the late 1990s were telling me to use Google.
"It's noncommercial," everyone said. "It works better," they told
me. Then bang-zoom Google went public and started selling shares;
the scrappy noncommercial Google was a marketing ploy. Now it's a
megalith.

Where's Tron when you need him?