Patrice Riemens on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:43:17 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The Sprouts Charter on Open Access and Open Publishing

Sprouts is an Information Systems/Computer Sciences initiative (aka
"techno-libertarian hackers" ;-), but deserves immo appropriate
'migration' to other fields. Its 10 'principles' are I think, most
commendable and 'universal' in scope and application.

Thanks to Toni Prug for pointing it out (it's nb partially an Amsterdam
thing!)

Cheers to All,
patrizio and Diiiinooos!

---------------------------------

http://sprouts.aisnet.org/charter.html

The Charter of Sprouts

Preamble

We offer an Open Access common public forum on research of information
systems and related technologies, in which we can share emergent work and
communicate work-in-progress prior to, and in some instances instead of,
publication in traditional outlets. We created Sprouts: Working Papers on
Information Systems (Sprouts) to provide a fast-turnaround outlet for such
work carried out primarily by scholars of the information systems field
and members of AIS, the Association for Information Systems.

Aims and Objectives

Sprouts is devoted to publishing research about the ways in which
information is generated and used as well as the way related systems are
designed, managed and implemented in a complex socio-technical landscapes.

Sprouts emphasizes fast-turnaround and quick dissemination of ideas,
thereby filling the gap between loose working papers and traditional
journals that are notorious for a long review process at the expense of
speed to market.

Sprouts is envisioned as a worldwide community-based outlet that can
replace or supplement the fractured working papers series of the various
IS departments and research groups under one roof, with one access point
and a standardized interface.

Sprouts is an open access publication that makes all contents available
online for instant and free access by academics and scholarly
practitioners who are interested in research on information, technology,
systems and organizations.

Sprouts is managed and published by an alliance of academic institutions
that are dedicated to promote the generation and dissemination of
information-related scholarly ideas. The Sprouts Alliance is open to any
institution that is interested in advancing the mission of Sprouts
according to this Charter.

Scope

Sprouts is open for all types of authentic and original research and
work-in-progress of the IS community.

Sprouts is geared for any interesting theory driven or theory building
work in the context of information environments, systems and
organizations, with no limitation of size, genre, or method. It welcomes a
broad, theoretically based view of information and systems that
encompasses human, social and technical aspects. Innovative and
challenging work and research genres are especially encouraged.

Sprouts is open for interdisciplinary work that broadens the base of
scholarship in organization studies, management, design, and information
systems through linkages with the full breadth of the arts and sciences.
It is guided by the conviction that information technologies form an
essential driver in creating a better world and enabling people and
organizations to achieve their missions and thrive.

Principles

1. Publishing is a conversation

Publishing is a form of epistolary conversation among community members.
We submit, respond, appreciate, challenge, discuss and reflect through
writing manuscripts.

2. Everyone is welcome

In principle, like any public conversation, academic publishing and its
results should be open for anyone who chooses to participate.

3. Every voice counts

Diversity and pluralism of opinions is a source of innovation and an
indicator of healthy community.

4. Civil conversation, not a sermon (about the Truth)

Anything that is appropriate in a town-hall meeting or a departmental
seminar should meet the basic standard for publishing. We let time
separate the wheat from the chaff.

5. Interesting, fast, or accurate - choose two

We admit that no manuscript is ever perfect. We emphasize speedy delivery
of interesting papers that has the potential to fuel the conversation and
invigorate our thinking.

6. Positive lens

In every paper, there are some interesting ideas or at least a kernel of a
worthy point. Readers are encouraged to find, appreciate and build on
these ideas instead of continually seeking discrepancies, gaps, and
errors.

7. Open access

Anyone should be free to access, read and use our papers in a
not-for-profit environment. Payment or affiliation is not required.

8. Communal act and service

Publishing should be a communal act. Everyone should be involved in
writing and assessing as a community service.

9. Nurturing

Editors should focus on nurturing authors.

10. Credit is given where credit is due

Ideas do not come out of thin air. If papers are the fruits we bear, we
should recognize duly and explicitly our debt to those who contributed the
seeds, fertilize and nurtured them. This includes other authors, mentors,
reviewers, readers, students, friends and patrons who in turn shape our
thinking and make our writing possible.