Tjebbe van Tijen on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:53:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> West and East Africa September 2009: floods and droughts & the luxury disasters of some other nations

about the visualization of natural disasters and questions raised if
the same technologies that do show us their workings & impact could
help in if not preventing, lessening the effects on population and
environment

West and East Africa September 2009: floods and droughts & the luxury
disasters of some other nations

September 5, 2009 by Tjebbe van Tijen

A series of messages of  a friend (Fran?ois Laureys) on the social
messaging system of FaceBook community who lives in West Africa
alerted me to extra ordinary heavy rains and floodings in Burkino
Fasso and other countries in the region. I had not seen any covering
of this disaster on national Dutch television, and maybe missed  it
on BBC news, anyhow us Europeans are not ?flooded? with African news
anyhow. It can be that the editors in command of our daily supply of
misery are careful about the possible ?disaster fatigue? of their
audience, but when a local disaster occurs in the low countries we
can be sure that the flooded camping outside the village of
Hoeksewaard ? however minor ? will get full attention. A recent
example was the so called  ?Weeralarm? (weather alarm) of our
national meteorological institute KNMI because a combined storm and
heavy rains were expected on August 20, 2009. Luckily the ?planned?
storm did not come and the heavy rains failed to materialize, so many
complaints did get in form organizers of the compulsive and
commercial late summer outdoor festivals, that were either cancelled
or delayed. Before, such nation wide offical alarms, everybody
accepted the vicissitude of the weather, but now the eager business
minds must have started to think up possible damage claim schemes.
The national weather institute KNMI was quick to react and has scaled
down their ?televisionized? national alarms. Anybody with a computer
in this country ? my good guess is that there are even more computers
than inhabitants in the Netherlands ? has instant access to the
continuous weather radar and its efficient didactic visualizations so
a greengrocer with an outside market stall can check the radar on his
iphone and take the needed measures right in time. Those are the
disasters of luxury that befall us here in Europe.

read on...
=======

the full documented and illustrated text can be found at The Limping
Messenger
http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/africa-
september-2009-floods-and-droughts-the-luxury-disasters-of-other-
nations/

Tjebbe van Tijen
Imaginary Museum Projects
Dramatizing Historical Information