Ned Rossiter on Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:47:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Urgent Aphorisms: Notes on Organized Networks for the Connected Multitudes

Urgent Aphorisms: Notes on Organized Networks for the Connected
Multitudes

[Forthcoming in Mark Deuze (ed.) Managing Media Work, Sage]

By Geert Lovink and Ned Rossiter (The OrgMen)

"Four Stages of Web 2.0 Culture: Use. Modify. Distribute. Ignore." ?
Johan Sjerpstra

In between the blog posting and the tweet there is the aphorism, a
centuries old literary form that should do well amongst creative
media workers. Zipped knowledge of the 21st century.

*

Already for 18th century German experimental physicist and man of
letters, Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, there was an impossibility for
knowledge to capture the totality of things. ?It is a question in
arts and sciences whether a best is possible beyond which our
understanding cannot go? (Lichtenberg). The answer to Twittermania is
not the thousand page magnum opus. Today, in a techno-culture where
the link never ends, there is a need to give pause to thought. This
is the work of the aphorism. Karl Kraus: ?An aphorism doesn?t have to
be true. The aphorism should outstrip the truth, surpassing it in one
sentence?. This text is dedicated to the creative workers, migrants,
vagabonds, activists, intellectuals of this world: Abandon the state,
create multiple expressive forms, engage in transborder relations
(affective, intellectual, social, political), invent new
institutional forms!

*

Where to situate the study of network cultures? It hovers between a
public form of ?mass informality? and hardcore techno-determinism.
The social noise we see scrolling down our screens is a waste product
of techno-settings in which our sweet entries are situated. Interface
is King, with the consequence that real techno-aesthetic intervention
increasingly becomes a lost archive in the history of network cultures.

*

In retrospect Friedrich Kittler?s techno-determinism remained an
unfinished project. Kittler?s post-1968 German media theory has not
gone through many alterations since the early 1990s. The once bold
statement ?media determine our situation? doesn?t shock anyone and
has become an empty phrase. The media a priori is so obvious that it
seems to have drifted into the realm of the collective unconscious.
Henceforth no Kittler school. The grownup Kittler-Jugend are
dedicated to scattered projects on the margins of academia. People
once again obsess over their small careers and seem to have forgotten
the primal energy that collective imagination can unleash. New
generations read German media theory with interest but simply no
longer have the time to read the necessary libraries to fully enjoy
the details. Kittler himself abandoned contemporary techno-analysis
and retired in imaginary Old Greece. How can there be a critique when
such a position itself is still obscure and on the brink of
disappearing? You start to sympathize with the programmer geeks when
techno-determinism is sublimated by the highly attractive commercial
sheen of Web 2.0.

*

Why network? We ought to ask this question. Why is the network, this
empty signifier, the emerging-becoming-dominant paradigm of our age?
Most of us will grow into network(ing) like children grow in and out
of clothes. It takes some time to realize that we dedicate fixed
periods of the day to the social-technical networks that are out
there without factoring it in. Networking and communicating through
email, chats, Twitter and social networking sites are technological
forms of day dreaming, a sphere you enter into and then come out of.
The dreamtime in the techno-cloud could be compared to the siesta at
the village square or chats in the local bar. It is time dedicated to
the social. What we get out of it is diffuse and impossible to quantify.

*

Why organize(d) networks? Ever since we launched this concept in 2005
we have seen organized networks (or orgnets) as just one of many
possibilities. But if the tendency that networks, over time, will
simply have to become more structured, then why bother? Long live
techno-social determinism. The org.net question should be precluded
with: Why do we still talk about organization in an era that seems to
celebrate looseness and non-commitment? The Organization Man (William
H. Whyte, 1956) is alive and well to this day. He did not disappear
with the so-called end of industrialism. In fact, his powers have
multiplied even if his ?mind and soul? is no longer exclusively
beholden to the demands of The Organization. Today, Organization Man
has moved beyond that institutional terrain and penetrated the life
of networks. Everyone is Organizing. Such was the great masterplan of
the ?organizational complex? (Reinhold Martin). Cooked up as a Cold
War dream to extend the military-industrial complex into the realms
of aesthetics and technology, the organizational complex fused the
modulation of patterns from the Bauhaus School with the cybernetic
programming of control. ?Media organize?. This McLuhan-inspired maxim
by Reinhold Martin truncates even further Friedrich Kittler?s earlier
?media determine our situation?. The key difference being the
organizing capacity of communications media, which carry with it the
organization man updated. This leaves us with the question: are we
The Org Men? Wouldn?t it be great to deconstruct the very .org
concept to pieces in order to get rid of it, once and for all? Isn?t
there behind any call to organize a desire to restore the ?ber org-
anism once called tribe, church, society, nation state?

*

Not all online group initiatives work. Many fail. So can orgnets. The
failure of a network, is however, not entirely without some work.
There is a labour involved with failure. So we are using the notion
of work in a different sense. We wish to invoke the idea of
sustainability as a core feature of the work of networks. Failure is
all too often the common of fragile conditions and the fragments of
demands placed upon those involved in building and guiding the
network. Social dust is a necessary precondition of the will to scale.

*

?We are here to stay?. The sustainability issue is a highly political
one. Once a network becomes sustainable it addresses the problem of
time, which tends not to be the default of networks. More often
networks are about the dimension of space ? quite frequently, they
are transnational in orientation. The material property of spatially
distributed social-technical relations that are forever being remade
through the logic of connection and speed provides sufficient grounds
for distraction from the problem of time understood as the
experiential condition of duration. This was the analysis of Canadian
communications theorist and political economist Harold Innis, whose
writings in the late 1940s and early fifties sought to address how it
was that ancient civilizations rise and fall due to the spatial or
temporal bias of their communications media and transport systems.
The biases of our time are known to all, but ignored by even more.

*

?There ain?t no time, only over time?. The political aspect of
networks is closely associated with sustainability of time. The
annoying network is the one that lasts the test of time and refuses
to disappear. Networks as technoversity are connected to develop a
diverse range of standards, practices, modes of governance, techno-
social relations. They collectively produce their own idioms of
knowledge, one platform or system distinct from the next, all
predicated on the will to communicate. The technoversity of networks
is not simply about distribution over space but about maintaining
lines of differentiation over time.

*

The realization of the social is no longer possible outside an
understanding of the constitutive power of technologies. There is no
pure social realm. The social is inseparable from the technology. We
speak of healthy bodies and populations, but what is the healthy
techno-social body? Why are fluidity and transformation such
celebrated values these days? How can we design the care of the self
for a social-technical network?

*

With so much real concern around ecological futures, how come there
is so little concern within networks of techno-social futures? The
net-cultural preoccupation with immediacy works against both the
histories of the present as well as present conditions of the future.
Network cultures have their own distinct apparatus of capture:
respond, now! To cleave out time from the work of networks requires a
certain act of refusal through the practice of delay or, if you
happen to be a member of the techno-economic elite, you simply log
off. But these are not options for the networked masses. How, then,
to reinvent a politics of autonomy in the time of networks? Such work
requires new modalities of organization whose ambition is singular:
conspire to invent new institutional forms.

*

Networks are not renowned for their managerial efficiency. Indeed,
the very term ?management? is one that makes many within networks
actively hostile and they recoil with deep distaste. Networks are
more inclined toward anti-authoritarian tendencies. They ?unmanage?
their cultural formation with little interest in purpose-driven,
performance indicators and procedural guidelines. And it?s no wonder
they do this. Such practices are embedded in the highly dysfunctional
audit cultures of dominant institutions. Networks are not goal
driven. They are galvanized around shared issues and the production
of passions and the cultivation of clouds. The network blurs all
purpose. That?s why we wish to raise the question of management in
terms of organization. There can be no successful managerial science
for networks. Please listen, once and for all, you brothers and
sisters in consultancy land. Shy away from top-down decisions and
impulses driven by regulatory ressentiment. IT-administrators belong
in that category ? their burning ambition is to ensure that networks
never work.

*

Organized networks are best understood as new institutional forms
whose social-technical dynamics are immanent to the culture of
networks. Orgnets are partly conditioned by the crisis and, in many
instances, failure of primary institutions of modernity (unions,
firms, universities, the state) to address contemporary social,
political and economic problems in a post-broadcast era of digital
culture and society. In this sense, organized networks belong to the
era and prevailing conditions associated with post-modernity.
Organized networks emphasize horizontal, mobile, distributed and
decentralized modes of relation. A culture of openness, sharing and
project-based forms of activity are key characteristics of organized
networks. In this respect, organized networks are informed by the
rise of open source software movements. Relationships among the
majority of participants in organized networks are frequently
experienced as fragmented and ephemeral. Often without formal rules,
membership fees, or stable sources of income, many participants have
loose ties with a range of networks.

*

The above characteristics inevitably lead to the challenge of
governance and sustainability for networks. It?s at this point that
networks start to become organized. With a focus on the strategic
dimension of governance, organized networks signal a point of
departure from the short-termism and temporary political
interventions of tactical media. At first glance orgnets are a
natural, almost inevitable development of the ?network society? as
described by Manuel Castells. Yet nothing is ?natural? in virtual
environments. Everything needs to be constructed. And if so, under
whose guidance? Who sets the very terms under which networks will
grow their roots into society? Will this process of
institutionalization have a (built-in) financial component?

*

As a political concept, organized networks provide what urban
theorist Saskia Sassen calls an ?analytical tool? with which to
describe ?the political? as it manifests within network societies and
information economies. The social-technical antagonisms that
underscore ?the political? of organized networks are instantiated in
the conflicts network cultures have with vertical systems of control:
intellectual property regimes, system administrators, alpha-males,
tendency toward non-transparency and a general lack of accountability.

*

How to rebuild labour organizations in the network society? This was
one of the many unrealized ambitions of the anti- and later alter-
globalization movements. And, for the most part, the unions never
quite realized that life and labour within a digital paradigm had
become the norm. Let us sketch out some of the current conditions
challenging political organization within network societies. First,
we need to problematise labour as some kind of coherent, distinct
entity. We know well that labour in fact is internally contradictory
and holds multiple, differential registers that refuse easy
connection (gender, class, ethnicity, age, mode of work, etc.). This
is the problem of organization. How to ?organize the
unorganizables??, to borrow from the title of Florian Schneider?s
documentary film. Second, we need to question the border between
labour and life ? contemporary biopolitics has rendered this border
indistinct. Techniques of governance now interpenetrate all aspects
of life as it is put to work and made productive. The result? No
longer can we separate public from private, and this has massive
implications for how we consider political organization today. What,
in other words, is the space of political organization? Paolo Virno,
for instance, speaks of a ?non-state public sphere?. But where,
precisely is this sphere? All too often it seems networked, and
nowhere. This is the trap of ?virtuality?, understood in its general
sense. Of course there can be fantastic instances of political
organization that remain exclusively at the level of the virtual,
which is the territory of today?s ?info-wars?. Here, we find the
continued fight over the society of the spectacle. Yet the problem of
materiality nonetheless persists, and indeed becomes more urgent, as
the ecological crisis makes all too clear (although this too is a
contest of political agendas played out within the symbolic sphere).

*

Slogans ?R? Us * T-shirt label: Made for Asia * Today Your Friend,
Tomorrow the World * Book title: ?Stimulus and Indifference? * Praise
Exodus ? Blast Decay * Support My Exit * ?Children of the
Deconstruction? * The Institution is the Message * Project: Deleting
Europe * I Joined the barcamp on anticyclic resistance and all I got
is this lousy USB stick * ethics is moral punk * Romantic Mobility *
Silicon Friends? * The Art of Attack (3 days intensive) * Post-
Exotic: The Boring Other as Kulturideal * Buy More Consume Less *
?Networking is Great to Waste Time Before Dying? * Rejected EU
proposal: ?Dialectics of Innovation ? Creative Warfare in the Age of
the Relaxed Crisis? *

*

There are benefits in adopting a combinatory analytical and
methodological approach that brings the virtual dimension of
organization together with a material situation. This may take the
form of an event or meeting, workshops, publishing activities, field
research, urban experiments, migrant support centres, media
laboratories ... there are many possibilities. In Italy, uninomade
and the media-activist network and social centre ESC are good
examples of what we are talking about here. Sarai media lab in Dehli
would be another. In the instance of bringing many capacities
together around a common problem or field of interest we begin to see
the development of a new institutional form. These institutions are
networked, certainly, and far from the static culture and normative
regimes of the bricks and mortar institutions of the modern era ?
unions, firms, universities, state. Their mobile, ephemeral nature is
both a strength and a weakness. The invention of new institutional
forms that emerge within the process of organizing networks is
absolutely central to the rebuilding of labour organizations within
contemporary settings. Such developments should not be seen as a
burden or something that closes down the spontaneity, freedom and
culture of sharing and participation that we enjoy so much within
social networks. As translation devices, these new institutions
facilitate trans-institutional connections. In this connection we
find multiple antagonisms, indeed such connections make visible new
territories of ?the political?.

*

Reading Russell Jacoby?s The Last Intellectuals: American Culture in
the Age of Academe (1987), two decades later, makes you wonder how
such an independent study would look like, post-Cold War, post-9/11,
in the age of the Internet and globalization. Jacoby?s description of
the ?impoverishment of public culture? has not come to a halt. No
dialectical turn here. As predicted, the figure of the ?public
intellectual? has disappeared. ?Intellectuals no longer need or want
a larger audience; they are almost exclusively professors who situate
themselves within fields and disciplines?. The nonacademic
intellectuals, an endangered species in the 1980s, have vanished for
good. The academics who replaced the general intellectuals created
?insular societies?. There is a widespread fear here of the ?single-
minded men?. But are we really living in the Age of the Expert? It is
not the expert knowledge that has become the dominant voice in the
media age. Instead, we have witnessed the rise of the celebrity, and
the ?celebrification? of all spheres of (mediated) life. The
professional is hiding inside the walls of the office culture.
Instead of a Triumph of the Professional we witness the Cult of the
Amateur (Andrew Keen), neither of them claiming any of the virtues of
the General Intellectual. Nothing in Jacoby?s study points at the
appearance of ?citizen journalism?, ?participatory culture? (Henry
Jenkins) and the decline of professional work due to the rise of free
content found in free newspapers and through the Internet.
Yesterday?s public intellectuals of mass media were not exactly
unpaid fellow travellers. What would Jacoby?s strategy be after the
?de-monetarization? of the media markets?

*

Communication conditions the possibility of the new political
organization. We could say that ?the political? of network societies
is comprised of the tension between horizontal modes of communication
and vertical regimes of control. Just think of the ongoing battles
between Internet and intellectual property regulators such as WIPO
(World Intellectual Property Organization) and pirate networks of
software, music or film distribution. Collaborative constitution
emerges precisely in the instance of confrontation. In this sense,
the horizontal and vertical axes of communication are not separate or
opposed but mutually constitutive. How to manage or deal with these
two axes of communication is often a source of tension within
networks. Here, we are talking about models of governance, without
universal ideals to draw on. More often than not, networks adopt a
trial-and-error approach to governance. It is better to recognize
that governance is not a dirty word, but one that is internal to the
logic and protocols of self-organization.

*

The ?participation economy? of Web 2.0 is underscored by a great
tension between the ?free labour? (Tiziana Terranova) of cooperation
that defines social networks and its appropriation by firms and
companies. How is the ?wealth of networks? (Yochai Benkler) to be
protected from exploitation? Unions, in their industrial form,
functioned to protect workers against exploitation and represent
their right to fair and decent working conditions. But what happens
when leisure activity becomes a form of profit generation for
companies? Popular social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace,
Bebo, del.icio.us and the data trails we leave with Google function
as informational gold mines for the owners of these sites.
Advertising space and, more importantly, the sale of aggregated data
are the staples of the participation economy. No longer can the union
appeal to the subjugated, oppressed experience of workers when users
voluntarily submit information and make no demands for a share of
profits. Although we are starting to see some changes on this front,
as users become increasingly aware of their productive capacities and
can quickly abandon a social networking site in the same manner in
which they initially swarmed toward it. Companies, then, are
vulnerable to the roaming tastes of the networked masses whose
cooperative labour determines their wealth. This cooperative labour
constitutes a form of power that has the potential to be mobilized in
political ways, yet so rarely is. Perhaps that will change before too
long. Certainly, the production of this type of political
subjectivity is preferable to the pretty revolting culture of
?shareholder democracy? that has come to define political expression
for the neoliberal citizen.

*

The precarity debate was, correctly, about the material conditions of
labour and life. Mistakenly, the precarity discourse remained fixated
on the rear-view mirror of Fordist production and the welfare state.
But there is more than this. Judith Butler wished to extend the term
to include emotional states and affective relations. Yet somehow
precarity doesn?t satisfactorily capture the intensity ? and dullness
? of the contemporary soul. What comes closer is the image of the
nervous, electric body in the late nineteenth and early twentieth
century as diagnosed in sociological accounts of urban
transformation. Think Georg Simmel, Gabriel Tarde, Walter Benjamin.
The image of digital disembodiment was perhaps a 1990s attempt to
update the electric body, but nowadays such a notion just looks sadly
comical and misplaced, which brings us back to the materiality of
communication vis-?-vis Kittler. Today we have not so much digital
disembodiment but the violence of code that penetrates the brain and
the body. It is the normality of difference, sending out constant
semiotic vibrations that numbs us. What the precarity meme doesn?t
catch is the cool frenzy. There is an aesthetics of uncertainty at
work. An impulse to Just Do It! Extreme Sports. Risk Societies.
Financial Derivatives. Creative Classes. Porn Stars. Game Cultures.
Today, it seems impossible to escape the network paradigm that is
always economically productive, even if it never returns the user a
buck. The non-remunerated body remains a body in labour. And it?s
increasingly exhausted. The brain encounters the limits of the day
and everything that is left uncompleted. The endless task of chores
ticked off slide over from one day to the next. One becomes tired by
looking at the ?to-do? list, which reproduces like a nasty virus.
Bring on the remix.

*

The shift from Fordist modes of assembly production to post-Fordist
modes of flexibilization cannot be accounted for by reference alone
to capital?s demands for enhanced efficiency through restructuring
and rescaling. The 1970s in Italy saw the rise of operaismo
(autonomist workerism) who refused the erosion of life by the demands
of wage labour. Importantly, their unique ?refusal of labour?
demonstrates, in theory, a clear capacity of workers to change the
practices of capital, for better and worse. The Italian collective
strike is a one-off concept workshop, blending the radical with the
general. It is in this power of transformation that ?the common? is
created (unlike so many other struggles and forms of dissent in
Europe). The ongoing challenge remains how to organize that
potentiality in ways that produce subjectivities that can open a
better life ? in Italy, and beyond.

*

Workfare, flexicurity or ?commonfare? ? all of these options are
variations on the theme of state intervention that is able to supply
a relative security to the otherwise uncertainty of labour and life.
Such calls are misguided. They presuppose that somehow the state
resides outside of market fluctuations and the precarity of capital.
The state is coextensive with capital. The 2008 credit crisis has
shown the state has little command over the uncertainties of finance
capital. How, then, can the state guarantee stability? Furthermore,
to whom does the state offer security? Certainly not to undocumented
migrants. The call for flexicurity is a regressive, nostalgic move
that holds dangerous implications vis-?-vis the formation of zones of
exclusion. There is no pleasure principle in being underpaid. The
price of freedom is a high one and it is only a handful of lucky
outsiders in the Rest of the West who can afford to work for free,
enjoying unemployment while living off a small income. It is a secret
lifestyle choice for a diminishing elite of cultural conceptualists
and their outsourced army of semiotic producers. This is not what the
dreams of the multitudes aspire to realize. There is much political
value in targeting not the state but the companies ? especially those
engaged in the Web 2.0 economy ? and insisting on a distribution of
income commensurate with the collective labour that defines the
participation economy. This may be a more effective strategy for
broadening the constitutive range of labour organizations.

*

If social movements are serious about addressing the economic
conditions of workers and engaging the complexities of the political
they would put an end to the mistaken faith in the state as the
source of guarantees. Moreover, the logic of the state as a provider
of welfare is special to Europe ? it does not translate to the
situations of workers in many Asian countries, for example. So what
are the borders of connection among workers? Does the movement simply
reproduce the borders of the EU? Or does it engage in the much harder
but no less necessary work of transnational connection? If so, then
targeting the state does not especially help facilitate a common
territory of organization. The global circuits of capital are where
radical politics should focus their attention. But global capital is
in no way uniform in its effects, techniques of management or
accumulative regimes. Political intervention, in other words, must
always be situated while traversing a range of scales: social-
subjective, institutional, geocultural. The movement of relations
(social, political, economic) across and within this complex field of
forces comprises the practical work of translation. Translation is
the art of differential connection and constitutes the common from
which new institutional forms may arise.

*

Practices of collaborative constitution are defined by struggle.
There is no escape from struggle and the tensions that accompany
collaborative relations. This is the territory of the political ? a
space of antagonism that in our view is much more complicated than
the Schmittian friend/enemy distinction. Again, it is the work of
translation that reveals the multiplicity of tensions. As Naoki Sakai
and Jon Solomon have written, translation is not about linguistic
equivalence or co-figuration, but rather about the production of
singularities through relational encounters. But let?s get more
concrete here. What is a relational encounter? It occurs through the
instance of working or being with others. Of sharing, producing,
creating, listening. Sustaining a range of idioms of experience is a
struggle in itself ? one that is rarely continuous, but rather
continually remade and reassembled. This in turn is the recombinatory
space and time of new institutions.

*

Let?s unpack the idea of new institutions and their relation to
precarity. If we say that precarity and flexibility is the common
condition ? one that traverses class and geocultural scales ? then we
can ask: what is the situation within which precarity expresses
itself? The situation (concept + problem) will define the emergence
of a new institution. Situation, here, consists of virtual/networked,
material, affective, linguistic and social registers. We are of
course always in a situation, but how to connect with others? The
point of connection brings about tensions ? the space of the
political ? and the ensemble of relations furnishes expression with
its contours. Real power lies not in the spectacle of the event, but
rather subsists within the resonance of experience and the minor
connections and practices that occur before and after the event. That
is the time and space of institution formation. The rest is a public
declaration of existence.

*

The question of organization persists: Who does it? How is
organization organized? For Keller Easterling, this is the role of
the orgmen: ?Different from the deliberately authored building
envelope, spatial products substitute spin, logistics, and management
styles for considerations of location, geometry, or enclosure. The
architect and salesman of such things as golf resorts or container
ports is a new orgman. He designs the software for new games of
spatial production to be played the same way whether in Texas or
Taiwan. The coordinates of this software are measured not in latitude
and longitude but in the orgman argot of acronyms and stats ? in
annual days of sunshine, ocean temperatures, flight distances, runway
noise restrictions, the time needed for a round of golf, time needed
for a shopping spree, TEUs, layovers, number of passengers,
bandwidth, time zones, and labor costs. Data streams are the levers
of spatial manipulation, and the orgman has a frontier enthusiasm for
this abstract territory. He derives a pioneering sense of creation
from matching a labor cost, a time zone, and a desire to generate
distinct forms of urban space, even distinct species of global city?.

*

The OrgMen of networks, then, share something with the alpha-males
and sysops (system operators). Both administer behaviours in symbolic
or technical ways, shaping patterns of relation. Indeed, the software
architecture used by any network is its own orgman. Organized
networks would do well to diversify their platforms of communication,
adopting a range of software options to enable the multiplication of
expression and distribute as much as possible the delegation of
network governance. If one platform starts to fall flat ? say a
mailing list ? then perhaps the collective blog is going to appeal to
more. Whenever the collective labour of a network can be galvanized
around forms of coproduction (making an online journal, organizing an
event, setting up a file-distribution system, producing a
documentary, identifying future directions, staging a hack, designing
slogans) then the life of the network finds that it has a life. Such
techniques of collaborative constitution keep in check the proto-
fascistic tendencies of the orgman that lurks within every network.
The tension between these two registers of network sociality is a
necessary dynamic. The challenge is to keep the game in play,
gradually shifting the limits of the network disposition.

*

If we were to reinvent cybernetics (as an organizing logic of
recombination, feedback, noise, etc), outside the military-industrial
context of the Cold War, what would it be? First of all, it would no
longer be obsessed with biology and bio metaphors. The aim of
computer networks is not to mimic the human by copying or improving
human features such as brain, memory, senses and extensions. The
question of agency and the relation between humans and non-humans, as
thematized by for example Bruno Latour and the actor-network theory
crowd, is a typical remainder of the cybernetics 1.0 era. In the past
cybernetics tried to figure out how to connect the individual (human)
body to the machine. It presumes we still have an issue with
?intelligent machines?. The cybernetic 1.0 age was both worried and
drawn to the idea that the human can(not) be replaced by thinking
machines. The result of this was a decades long irrelevant debate
over artificial intelligence (AI). These days no one is concerned if
and when the machines take over. Have you ever been scared by the
idea that a computer can and will beat you at chess? Sure it can, but
so what? We know Big Brother is storing all the information in the
world. AI is here to stay but is no longer a key project in
technology research. Whereas cybernetics 1.0 tried to schematize
human behaviour in order to simulate it through models, cybernetics
2.0 is concerned with the truly messy, all too human, social
complexity. We are not ants. We are more and behave as less. Our
understanding has to go beyond the boring mirror dynamic of man and
machine. Computer science will have to make the leap into inter-human
relations in the same way as human are adapting to the limits set by
computer interfaces and architectures. Stop the mimicry procedures,
and restart computer science itself.

*

Reinhold Martin: ?Norbert Wiener argues that what counts is not the
size of the basic components (such as neurons, which are similar in
humans and ants) but their organization, which determines the
'absolute size' of the organization's nervous system ? its upper
limit of growth and index of social advancement. An organism's social
potential, conceived in terms of its ability to organize into complex
communication networks, is thus measured as a function of the size of
its internal circulatory and communications system, which is a
function, in turn, of their own organizational complexity. The
original analogy between the social and biological organism is thus
collapsed, as the two become directly linked as part of the same
network.... A relational logic of flexible connection replaces a
mechanical logic of rigid compartmentalization, and the decisive
organizational factor is no longer the vertical subordination of
parts to the whole but rather the degree to which the connections
permit, regulate, and respond to the informational flows in all
directions?.

*

What are the limits of potentiality for the organized network? While
impossible to answer in terms of content (every network has its own
special attributes), we can say something here about form. Form
furnishes the contours of expression as it subsists within the social-
technical dynamics of digital media. How these relations coalesce as
distinct networks situated within and against broader geopolitical
forces becomes a primary challenge for networks desiring scalar
transformation ? a movement that also consists of trans-
institutional, disciplinary, subjective and corporeal relations whose
antagonisms define the multiple registers of ?the political?. The
question of limits takes us to the transcalar practice of
transversality ? the production of multiple connections that move
across a range of social, geocultural and institutional settings.
There are also strategic questions: Who do you collaborate with? How
local are you? Are you willing to deal with the cynical professionals
of traditional media? Do you believe in Meme Power, viral marketing
and subliminal dissemination with the chance of hitting the Zeitgeist
lottery, or in the hard work of political campaigning?

*

Collaboration is always accompanied by conflict and struggle. This is
a matter of degree. And there?ll be plenty of exhilaration that keeps
the momentum going. But tensions will always be present. Better to
work out an approach to deal with this, otherwise you?ll find your
projects go kaptuz!