Prem Chandavarkar on Tue, 8 Dec 2009 03:32:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Handoko Suwono: Facebook paves its way to IPO

Michael,
To point out a problem does not mean one is arguing that it is dangerous to
protest against it, or that one is not protesting anything.  If protest
needed assurances of safety, would it ever happen?  Protest requires
commitment (including the willingness to be subjected to surveillance), and
a capacity to resist both power and critique.  If it is argued that pointing
out a danger is tantamount to discouraging protest, then there is not much
hope for protest - whether dangers are pointed out or not.

The wider point I wish to connect with is not specific to Facebook, but a
broader question of law and the authentication of presence in an
increasingly digital world.  Do see
http://lessig.org/content/articles/works/finalhls.pdf

<http://lessig.org/content/articles/works/finalhls.pdf>Regards,
Prem

2009/12/7 Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>

> Prem et al.,
>
> These issues come up over and over, but those who raise them also have the
> responsibility of in effect setting up a panopticon to scare others into not
> daring to make political acts.
 <...>