The Yes Men on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 03:16:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Dow throws a party, mainly zombies show up

April 19, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DOW THROWS A DISMAL PARTY, FEW ATTEND
Underattended "Run for Water" plagued by death, zombies, and dozens of
"Dow spokesmen"; truth seems to run free

Video: Yes Men video coming soon here; other video here
Stills: Yes Men pictures coming soon here; numerous others here
Contact: Whitney Black (803)466-3786; press@theyesmen.org

Brooklyn, NY -- Bucolic Prospect park in Brooklyn, NY played host to a
bizarre spectacle on Sunday, as a dramatically under-attended Dow-
sponsored "Run for Water" was infiltrated and turned upside down by
hundreds of furious activists, including a hundred dressed as Dow
spokespeople.

New Yorkers who came to the park expecting a light run followed by a
free concert found themselves unwitting extras in a macabre and
chaotic scene as runners keeled over dead, Dow-branded grim reapers
chased participants, and a hundred fake Dow representatives harangued
other protesters and and handed out literature that explained Dow's
greenwashing program in frank detail.

The actions called attention to Dow's toxic legacy in places like
India (the Bhopal Catastrophe), Vietnam (Agent Orange) and Midland
Michigan (Dioxin Contamination), and to the absurdity of a company
with serious water issues all over the world sponsoring the Live Earth
Run For Water.

After race cancellations in London, Milan, Berlin, and Sweden, on-site
Dow brand managers were in damage-control mode. But their job was made
harder by the hundred fake "Dow" spokespeople who loudly but clumsily
proclaimed Dow's position ("Our race! Our earth!" and "Run for water!
Run for your life!"), spoke with many runners, screamed at the other
protesters, passed out beautifully-produced literature, and all in all
looked a whole lot better than the real Dow reps, who seemed eager to
make themselves scarce.

"I don't know what's going on here," said Tracey Von Sloop, a Queens
woman who attended the race. "All I know is these people are both
crazy, and Dow is f*ing sick. I'm outta here."

The event was the latest blow to Dow's greenwashing efforts, the most
visible element of which is the "Human Element" multi-media
advertising campaign, one of the most expensive, and successful,
marketing efforts in recent history. It even won an "Effie Award" for
the most effective corporate advertising campaign in North America.

"Effective," perhaps -- but also completely misleading. To name just a
few examples of Dow's water-related issues: Dow refuses to clean up
the groundwater in Bhopal, India, site of the largest industrial
disaster in human history, committed by Dow's fully-owned subsidiary,
Union Carbide. As a result, children continue to be born there with
debilitating birth defects. Dow has also dumped hundreds of millions
of pounds of toxic chemical byproducts into wetlands of Louisiana, and
has even poisoned its own backyard, leaving record levels of dioxins
downriver from its global headquarters in Midland, Michigan.

"We thought it must be a joke when we first heard that Dow Chemical
Company was sponsoring a run for clean water," said Yes Woman Whitney
Black. "Sadly, it was not. One of the world's worst polluters trying
to greenwash its image instead of taking responsibility for drinking
water and ecosystems it has poisoned around the world? What an awfully
unfunny way to start off Earth Week. We decided the event needed a
little comic relief."

Irony was piled on irony throughout the race, which Dow absurdly
claimed was going to be "the largest solutions-based initiative aimed
at solving the global water crisis in history. At one point,
organizers were caught on tape dramatically throwing out excess water
left over because of an embarrassingly low turnout.

Groups organizing the action included the Center for Health,
Environment and Justice, the International Campaign for Justice in
Bhopal, New York Whale and Dolphin Action League, the Vietnam Agent
Orange Relief and Responsibility Campaign, the Wetlands Activism
Collective, Global Justice for Animals and the Environment, Kids For A
Better Future, The Yes Men, and hundreds of assorted volunteers,
activists and mischief makers.