jaromil on Tue, 18 May 2010 17:17:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Return of DRM

hi Morlock,

I've waited to reply your mail for almost a week now in the vain hope
that someone would join us on the fields of this prose: this is
becoming now such an inspiring piece of lyricism, so pleasant to read,
you truly are a good writer! but unfortunately it seems noone
dares. maybe we are becoming embarassing, as the drawback of lyricism
is that of loosing touch with reality, we are fading into a science
fiction enactment..

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 04:39:37PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> I'm skeptical about the ability of "us free from ..." to use
> imagination to hack into minds of zombies and provoke the Change.

right. all national TV stations are well guarded; but still, some of
us are working in those structures of control!  most probably because
of their skills are becoming crucial to the task, rather than because
of some long term social engineering we would be playing...

[...]

> To put it bluntly, no one gives a flying fuck for your
> imagination. If you don't have an industrial strength media pump you
> are spitting into the river.

now it is quite naive of you to say that: ignoring the power of
asymmetrical warfare in contrast to the enthropy pulling out of
unidirectional technical advancements.

contrary to popular perception these days, we are not in such a "bad
historical moment" for digital cultures: most post-modern critics drop
off our ship exasperated by the pressure of new labour issues raising,
while the financial pressure is deflected from the mega-corporations
to hit the proletariat. But It looks like when the tear-gas hits the
rioting crowd: those who are not prepared obviously fall first, look
for shelters and the day after will blame the "black bloc" for
actually having a plan - deja vu.

Forming armies of mechanical turks is just a desperate preemptive
attack driven by the rusty corporate juggernaut before the real battle
starts: while they've played all their cards, we have prepared a
little but diverse and effective arsenal, which still has to enter
play.

> There is  no such thing  as digitally autonomous network.  You don't
> know  how to  make transistors,  chips, routers  and computers  in a
> sustainable way.

do we really need all that?  maybe when we talk about "digitally
autonomous networks" we speak about two different notions of
"digital". a piece of paper with an address and a meeting time can be
even more digital than a twit - and less traceable.

but then, what are we talking about here, just software being digital?

and just technology being human?

can't believe that. it's not so bad c'mon :)

> You are wasting your time in symbolic hobby revolutions.

of course! I'm totally into that, living life as an hobby! :)

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39