Flick Harrison on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:42:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Heiner Muller's Macbeth nach Shakespeare

Greetings netizens,

I'm working on a media / video design for a new english translation of
Heiner Muller's Macbeth Nach Shakespeare with GasHeart / Conspiracy Theatre
in Vancouver.

Just wondering, has anyone seen any productions of this play that included
video and / or projections?  I'd like to be aware of historical precedents
that might be lost in the mists of time.

I like the Muller re-interpretation with a class-analysis layer added.
It's hard to imagine the context / reception in Communist Europe where an
English classic might be seen as a dangerous western influence, but the way
he indicts all the nobility of all the western nations (norway, england,
scotland) involved is really quite clever.  Then again, Herr Marx himself
drew on shakespeare to add a popular tinge to his writings, and marxist
readings of shakespeare tend to put him on the side of class struggle,
rather than against it.

Macbeth: nach Shakespeare could be an underlying dig at the DDR
establishment, I suppose, because it also, cunningly, indicts all
state-power actors as complicit in murder and torture.

-Flick

--
* WHERE'S MY ARTICLE, WORLD?
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flick_Harrison