De wraak van Baltassar Geraards on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:25:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Pollock, Art History and Cold War [was: Wikileaks is old hat]

You are not convincing me of the counter argument by CLR James of
popular culture not being the product of capitalist society

On the contrary, in the 40ties during a war industry, it seems more
logical that women wearing trousers due to the fact they worked in
factories where it is just more practical to wear them

Even so apart from establishing a consumer oriented class system in
which one's economical status can be measured by its ability to show
off its fetishes - i.e. products- the art market flourished as never
before resulting in the 50ties succesfull launch of pop art, whose
instruments ( Pollock, de Konink , Rauschenberg and later in the -
still more consumer oriented world - Andy Warhol) created an enormous
flood of consumer artworks. It is examplary that both Rauschenberg and
Warhol came from the advertizing industry

So I cannot see in any way why - in his opinion - Adorno was wrong in
his analysis

Andreas Maria Jacobs

w: http://www.nictoglobe.com
w: http://burgerwaanzin.nl