Anna on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:09:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Glenn Greenwald: DOJ subpoenas Twitter records of several WikiLeaks volunteers (Salon.com)

Hi,

an interesting article concerning this was published in the New York
Times on monday:

Twitter Shines a Spotlight on Secret F.B.I. Subpoenas
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/business/media/10link.html?_r=1

It seems that Twitter was only able to unseal the subpoena because of a
case that was made public last August: Nick Merrill got a gag order by
the FBI under the Patriot Act in 2004. He ran a small ISP, hosting NGOs,
independent media and more. The FBI wanted information about one of his
clients. With the support of the ACLU he fought the gag order, not being
allowed to tell *anyone* that this was going on for six years.

He was the first person to fight a gag order and only because he was
partly successful it was possible for Twitter to unseal the subpoenas
and let the account owners know about it.

Nick told his story during the CCC congress in December in Berlin
(27c3), see http://events.ccc.de/congress/2010/Fahrplan/events/4263.en.html

http://mirror.fem-net.de/CCC/27C3/mp4-h264-HQ/27c3-4263-en-resisting_excessive_government_surveillance.mp4
or
http://mirror.fem-net.de/CCC/27C3/mp3-audio-only/27c3-4263-en-resisting_excessive_government_surveillance.mp3
or http://www.youtube.com/user/kkkwwwaaakkk#p/u/6/sDkHPNbCC1M

Rop Gonggrijp, one of the people about whom Twitter is being subpoenad,
held the keynote of the 27c3 and also talked about his experience with
Wikileaks in Iceland, and why he withdrew from that work. At the time
of the keynote he didn't know about the subpoena, I believe.

http://mirror.fem-net.de/CCC/27C3/mp4-h264-HQ/27c3-4302-en-27c3_keynote_we_come_in_peace.mp4
or
http://mirror.fem-net.de/CCC/27C3/mp3-audio-only/27c3-4302-en-27c3_keynote_we_come_in_peace.mp3
or http://www.youtube.com/user/kkkwwwaaakkk#p/search/2/ALNovMk3fC8

Two remarkable talks.

Best
A.

Am 11.01.11 11:20, schrieb Patrice Riemens:

> bwo IAC2009 list
>
> original at:
> http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/01/07/twitter/index.html
> (http://bit.ly/fPXo7E )
>
> The most interesting part is of course about all the other service
> providers which probably also have been 'approached' by the DOJ, and have
> not disclosed the such. Generally I think Twitter has acted remarkably
> well in this. See also the <<principal suspect>>'s blog:
> http://rop.gonggri.jp
 <...>