Heather Dewey-Hagborg on Wed, 2 Feb 2011 07:51:12 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Some thoughts on Facebook

I second that thanks - it's always nice to hear this kind of thing. (from a
non-FB user)
And I also second the sentiment about the irony of how easily a counter
culture gets consumed. Not that it is surprising - re: culture industry etc.
- but it is important to remember what these celebrated tools really are.
especially when they become glorified as revolutionary.
Next on the list, breaking up with google...

In solidarity!
Heather

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM, John Hopkins <jhopkins@neoscenes.net>wrote:

> ei Emile, nice work!
>
> > I left facebook last week.
> >
> > tired of the mirrors, noise and eyes.
> > tired of prickly, intimate and fleshy human relationships being
>
> What is astonishing is the number of 'radical' net-workers & activists from
> the 1990s on this very list who have melded with such ease into the FB space.
> Had FB been described to this list in, say, 1997, IMHO it would have been
> consumed in an apocalyptic conflagration of flaming disgust -- as a puerile
> distopian fantasy spawned of the "California Ideology," and with an aim for
> total mind-control.
 <...>

--
Heather Dewey-Hagborg