Bassam el Baroni on Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:03:18 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Why so surprised?

As an Egyptian involved in the protests I find your argument archaic and very conservative to say the least, as well as highly tainted with the Orientalism that you seek to set straight in your message. Let these 'us' and 'them' arguments burn in the dungeon of the late capitalist nexus and let us think of new ways to speak, write, and communicate our perceptions and imaginings of those who are not dwelling in our direct vicinity.

--- On Sat, 2/5/11, Eugenio Tisselli <cubo23@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Eugenio Tisselli <cubo23@yahoo.com>
Subject: <nettime> Why so surprised?
To: nettime-l@kein.org
Date: Saturday, February 5, 2011, 8:02 PM

Probably nobody here at nettime is surprised, but if we go by the current media gimmicks, the fact that the Egyptian peole are using Facebook and Twitter (to an extent which is yet uncertain, and needs to be seriously researched) to overthrow the ruling regime seems to be the *Big Finding* of the season.

So, why so surprised?
 <...>