Geert Lovink on Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:03:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> A DIY Data Manifesto by Scott Gilbertson

Good you raise this issue, Rory.

If I remember well from December Dave Winer kind of defended Amazon in
the Wikileaks cut-off controversy (he said he would not join a boycott).

The question indeed is: what does it mean when we call to run our own
servers? If they are located somewhere in the 'cloud' then what's the
difference anyway in comparison to Facebook or Google?

The alternatives we suggest cannot be empty gestures if we propose to
use 'virtual' servers that are under the same corporate control anyway.

Geert