Felix Stalder on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:03:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The beginning of the end?

Dear Brian,

it took me a while to absorb this. I agree with you as far as the three
main crises are concerned and the exceptional challenges they pose to the
US (and, in to a lesser degree, Europe and Japan): financialization
(compensating for the loss of productive capacity with credit, allowing to
hide rising social inequality and ignore demographic challenges), climate change
(necessitating the reorganization of global energy flows) and the
transformation of hegemony (shifting from a center/periphery structure into
a network that internalizes everything).

What I still don't agree with you is the characterization of
informationalism and its supposed inherent path-dependencies. The concept
of 'mode of development' only make sense in conjunction with the concept of
'modes of production'. One is a techno-organizational, the other
is a political paradigm. One is about means, the other is about ends. Of
course, historically, they are always deeply intertwined, because it is the
end that produces the means.

Joseph Weizenbaum realized in the mid 1970s that the techno-organizational
transformation where actually stabilizing the political system, rather than
challenging it:

âMany of the problems of growth and complexity that pressed insistently and
irresistibly during the postwar decades could have served as incentives for
political innovation....Yet, the computer did arrive âjust in time.â But in
time for what? In time to save--and to save very nearly intact, indeed, to
entrench and stabilize--social and political structures that otherwise
might have been either radically renovated or allowed to totter under the
demands that were sure to be made on them. The computer, then, was used to
conserve Americaâs social and political institutions. It buttressed them
and immunized them, at least temporarily, against enormous pressure for
change.â

Yet, the context of their invention does not determine their development,
let alone their use. The Internet was initially developed by the military,
but it's no longer a military technology.

I think it is necessary to separate Keynesianism from Fordism (or more
generally, industrialism), and neoliberalism from informationalism.
Historically, Fordism has been a mode of development in a variety of
political systems, one of them being Keynesisan capitalism, but also in
Soviet statism (to use another of Castells expressions), where it was
oriented towards very different political ends.

The same thing is with informationalism. Its emergence is connected to the
political transformations of the late 1970s and 1980s, that is, the
transformations of capitalism, which were essentially about preserving its
core features. But the resulting neo-liberalism is not the only political
system that can embody. China, it is my suspicion, makes very different use
of capacities of informationalism, it's certainly not neoliberal.

Thus, when I speak of the role of social media in the Egyptian revolution,
I'm not a starry-eyed web2.0 enthusiast claiming Facebook will set you
free. What made the revolution 'liberal' are the universal aspiration of
freedom, democracy, individual dignity expressed by the people. Zizek is
quite right about this. The exactly opposing values are advanced by global
jihadists, who are using the informational paradigm for their ends.

There is a relationship between informationalism and political dynamics,
but it's much more open. And, finding ways to act within the contemporary
macro-transformations is exactly about articulating this openness.
Otherwise, we have wait for the full crash before anything new can happen.

Felix

On Thursday February 10 2011, Brian Holmes wrote:

> On 02/09/2011 09:02 AM, Felix Stalder wrote:
>
>  > rather than seeing this as the peak of the [informational] paradigm,
> it's the very paradigm triumphing yet again over the previous, obsolete
one.

> Felix, your view is the intuitive one, which sees the hoped-for collapse
> of the Mubarak regime as a consequence, more or less, of the freedom to
> communicate: in a situation made tense by rising food prices, liberal
> informationalism finally exerts its effects.

--- http://felix.openflows.com ----------------------- books out now:
*|Deep Search.The Politics of Search Beyond Google.Studienverlag 2009
*|Mediale Kunst/Media Arts Zurich.13 Positions.Scheidegger&Spiess2008
*|Manuel Castells and the Theory of the Network Society. Polity, 2006
*|Open Cultures and the Nature of Networks. Ed. Futura/Revolver, 2005