Geert Lovink on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:20:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> google's berlin institute of internet & society

(just for the record and those interested, here some info of the
rudimentary website of google's research institute for internet and
society, in the process of being established in berlin. /geert)

http://www.internetundgesellschaft.de/

The following mission statement has been developed by the
multistakeholder team that boostraps the research institute. The
mission statement is meant to serve as a totem for the community
behind the institute; it is therefore a living document that will
develop over time.

Mission Statement    (Version 1.0)

The Internet and society research institute (*the name is not decided
yet*) centers on research and deliberation on the culture and practice
of (1) Internet based innovation, (2) Internet policy, and (3) related
legal aspects. We strive to provide insights enabling all stakeholders
to better shape the transformations the Internet stimulates within our
networked societies in Germany, Europe and internationally.

Specifically, the institute:
	â focuses on transdisciplinary research and collaboration between
academics, policy makers, civil society and private sector.

	â promotes a humanistic conception of the Internet and a user
centered approach to Internet policy making and innovation, multi-
stakeholder governance in digital ecosystems, their relationship with
society, and their constitutional implications.

	â supports the continued development of a free and open Internet
and its potential to increase welfare, democratic capacity, sciences
and the arts. Hence we aim to better understand the qualities,
dynamics, and implications of the Internet with regard to society and
governance at large.

Âfree space = in that there are little restrictions on content and
behavior and contribution is broadly permitted

Âopen space = based on a philosophy of openess, i.e. open standards
that ensure interoperability and open innovation

FAQs

Q: Which institutions and who are you working with to set up the
institute?
A: We are currently in the process of identifying the best academic
partners. We hope to announce the concrete plans including the
academic institutions and the team of leading academics within the
next months after we have reached a final agreement.

Q: When will the Institute start its operations?