Paolo Cirio on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:13:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> REALITYFLOWHACKED through Social Algorithms, Paolo Cirio's solo show. Press Release.

Dear friends,

Let me notice you REALITYFLOWHACKED, my solo show in Ljubljana at Aksioma | Project space - Slovenia. From April 26 to May 20, 2011.
Info and selected pictures of the show:
http://www.aksioma.org/realityflowhacked

Texts by Bruce Sterling, Sculpting the Flow of Reality:
http://www.paolocirio.net/press/text_sterling_realityflowhacked.php
Art Crosses the Border:
http://www.paolocirio.net/press/text_sterling_xl.php

This exhibition features some most recent projects of mine that are related to the idea of Social Algorithms. They are conceptual hacks, which are represented by the pieces Open Society Structures (2009), P2P Gift Credit Cards - Gift Finance (2010) and Face to Facebook (coauthor: Alessandro Ludovico, 2011)

Let me say more about the Social Algorithms of the REALITYFLOWHACKED exhibition with little personal statements. Below there are also links of recent interviews about the recent projects and 7 downloadable diagrams of Social Algorithms.

Flow of information is pure raw power; processing and managing data means developing languages, knowledge and awareness of reality. Social Algorithms literally design information flux, they program realities.

Through Social Algorithms I sculpted information, an invisible material that can be shaped for constructing new structures of data, which demonstrated being able to influence the Social Reality. Just for instance, in Face to Facebook the structuring of data in new forms has affected a great number of people's behaviour and legal and media spheres. These sculptures of data can be created by anyone, just by following the diagrams of the Social Algorithms that I drew. These diagrams explain the instructions for activating social change through hacks of the present flow of reality.

They are not malicious hacks, they are not sabotaging viruses, nor speculative esthetics, funny hoaxes or simply slogans, instead, they want to bring about progress. They propose new realities by pragmatical instructions that run step by step. They are propositions of how to activate political evolutions, just by following the flow charts of the diagrams. The reality flow must be re-processed and re-organized, society always needs new and better algorithms.

In the show REALITYFLOWHACKED the Social Algorithms are materialized by active drawings, effective sculptures, and functional performances that came out of them. Classic artistic practices such as drawing, sculpting and performing can finally be able to influence effectively social realities. However, this is not software art, nor net art. There aren't genres, this is just what is our contemporary time. Media and management of data, this is the global everyday reality.

The diagrams of the Social Algorithms are blueprints for social software that when launched in the operation system of our complex reality, start to interact with the tasks of the applications that govern and organize the construction of Social Reality. They are not just visionary sketches, they can be implantable, some still are running now, they really work! And their power to change reality is just a matter of the scale of their implementation.

Here you can download the diagrams of the Social Algorithms. There are 7 blueprints in pdf:
http://www.paolocirio.net/work/all_cirio_diagrams.zip
The seven diagrams of the Social Algorithms included the three of the Hacking Monopoly Trilogy (Google Will Eat Itself,Amazon Noir and Face to Facebook), one diagram of the Gift Finance and diagrams of the triptych of Open Society Structures.
If you need printed copies of them, just ask me, I'll deliver them to your postal address.

Many thanks and hugs to all the friends who have supported me so far.
Paolo.

Recent Interviews:
- Digicult online magazine. Extensive Interview about major artworks, career and strategies
http://www.digicult.it/digimag/article.asp?id=2039
- Artline online magazine
http://www.paolocirio.net/press/interview_f2f_artline.php
- CNN.com online portal
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/02/11/artists.facebook.project
- Artinfo online magazine
http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/36912/the-artist-whos-out-to-liberate-facebook-a-qa-with-profile-thief-paolo-cirio
- Czech TV major public TV channel 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgV5avt3LY
- Tagesschau German public TV ARD channel 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCh1XPWlMY
- NDR Zapp German TV show
http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/zapp/internet/facebook377.html

This month printed publications in the bookshops:
- Artnews magazine (U.S.) review
- Springering magazine (Austria) interview
- XL magazine magazine (Italy) review
- Politika magazine (Serbia) interview
- Wired magazine (Italy) review (upcoming)

Upcoming exhibitions and presentations:

- EMAFF 2011, Face to Facebok presentation, Osnabrück, Germany
- IMAC 2011, Re-New forum, Recombinant Fiction lecture, Copenhagen
- Visionary Trading Project, P2P Gift Credit Cards exhibition, London
- Memefest, workshop, Nijmegen, Netherlands
- Utopian Currencies, P2P Gift Credit Cards exhibition and lecture, Paris
- Checkpoints FLEF Festival, Face to Facebook exhibition, Finger Lakes, U.S.
- Genesis Project, workshop, New York
- Galerija Galženica, Open Society Structures exhibition, Velika Goricam, Croazia

Some honors that I got so far:

Virtual Residency at Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol, 2010; European Media Artists residence and grant, 2009; Transmediale award, 2008; Stuttgarter Filmwinter, 2007; Media Award St. Gilgen school, 2006; Comission Rhizome, 2005; Nominations for 10th Cairo Prize, 2009; VIPER Award, 2005; and Honorary Mentions at Share Festival, 2007; Ibizagrafica, 2006 and Prix Ars Electronica, 2005.

Some
accomplished missions in the last 10 years:
I stole one million profiles from Facebook.com and republished some of them on dating website.
I issued and distributed thousands of credit cards, counterfeiting virtual money.
I branded a firm that exploits sea level rise in NYC and a counter movement for climate change justice.
I cloned the identity of a Russian spy on social media for doing a interactive movie.
I investigated anti terrorism measures in international airports.
I spread thousands of misquotations by the most famous historic human figures.
I stole digital books from Amazon.com and redistributed them for free.
I created phony networks with robots to fraud Google.com AD Sense service.
I occupied streets and asked to artists to vandalise the public spaces with pieces of art.
I edited a web portal about eastward expansion of NATO.
I was investigated by the Department of National Defense of both the USA and Canada.

More about my bio here:

http://www.paolocirio.net/cv.php

Credits solo show:
Produced by Aksioma –Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, 2011
www.aksioma.org
Supported by The Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia and the Municipality of Ljubljana

--

You received this email because for some obscure reasons your email is in the database of Paolo's contacts. If for any reason you no longer want to hear about his new projects, please click on the following link and your email will be erased forever:
http://www.paolocirio.net/newsletter/index.php?un_email=p.cirio@gmail.com

--

Admin tasks:
http://www.paolocirio.net/newsletter/index.php?un_admin=p.cirio@gmail.com