Patrick Lichty on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:30:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

Nick,

I am in complete agreement with this.  This is a big issue with a lot of the
ISEAs as severely hegemonic space, despite its rhetoric of openness, and I
am not entirely sure that the attendees realize that if we stay on Taksim
Square, that the shuttles to Sabanci are a significant amount of time -
depending on time of day, at least an hour each way.  This is not going to
be an easy conference.  It's obvious that we are all going to spend a lot of
money just to GET and LIVE THERE, but now the conference has been charging
trade show prices once the participants get there. I've priced out
participation at over 2-3000$ with hotel.  This prices many out, and will
probably make this my only foreign conference for academic year 2011-2012.

The irony of this is that I had planned a 10 day alternate event in
concurrence with ISEA as _part_ of same (which in hindsight, made absolutely
no sense) that hoped to deal with alternative practice.  The big issue is
that the body involved has few resources (as it seems we will have).

In the States, there is frequently a counter College Art Association
conference put on by the Radical Art Caucus, and personally I'd like to
consider an alt.ISEA if we could get a cadre together.