Rolf Kleef on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 04:19:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> No JSTOR downloads or bicycle-helmet-masks for you

A small comment as nuance, money is not money indeed:

On 24/07/11 07:06, h w wrote:
[...]
> 2. Money is not money. The few times I actually paid for a JSTOR article it was about $15 for a short article. Note: 2,000,000,000 (2 billion) people live on less than a dollar day. A $15 article represents about 2 weeks total wages.

I'm not sure how many of those 2 billion currently have the literacy and
knowledge skills to benefit from access to articles in JSTOR, but for
several countries in development/in transition, there are license deals
made through EIFL: http://www.eifl.net/licensing

"Average discounts negotiated are over 98%, and we save our partner
libraries in excess of US$140 million each year in subscription fees."

--rolf