Michael H Goldhaber on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:38:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on publishing, editing, reading, using

The situation regarding paying for publication may vary depending on the field. In the case of science journals with which I am familiar, including some of the most reputable ones, there are "page charges."  These are usually covered by research grants but not always. An old friend is editor in chief of American Physical Society journals (for which he receives a good salary); they publish themselves (probably thousands of pages a month in total)  rather than through some profit-making entity. Still he insists they must charge for subscriptions or downloading articles, because of the expense of editing, typesetting  and publishing. I remain unsure why that has to be so, at least at the current level of charges.

Best,
Michael

On Jul 26, 2011, at 7:36 PM, McLaughlin, Lisa M. Dr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is all very complicated, and I've thought that it may be best, as an
> editor of a journal, to stay out of the dialogue, but I think that there are
> many good insights stated on nettime--and a few misconceptions.

 <...>