Graham St John on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 00:23:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on publishing, editing, reading, using

>My question is, given the above, why is anyone still working for/publishing
>in/editing/reading/using or otherwise supporting the current more or less
>obscene system of academic for profit publishing?
>
>Mike

Good question - at least as far as publishing in journals is concerned.

I like where this discussion is going, and thanks Gary for moving it
along the open-access open-source peer review journal path. And Mike,
good to learn of successful Open Journal Systems models - though i
feel compelled to note that the Excellence in Research for Australia
(ERA) journal rankings indicators you mention have now been scrapped
by the Australian government, which is good news - for one thing it
effectively smothered emerging journals and provided an
institutionalised disincentive for new and emerging fields of
research ...

Down at Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture we've
recently published our fourth edition (using the OJS set-up). It's
been a difficult birth, not the least resultant from limited support
(of course its volunteer) at OJS and the fact that we're operating
off the smell of an oily rag. Its not easy - i guess it never is for
new journals. But I imagine the birthing pains are nothing compared
with becoming trapped in the corporate control of scholarship
spin-cycle, freedom from which is a central plank of our founding
mission.

Graham
--
Graham St John