John Hopkins on Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:45:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: Diaspora* means a brighter future for all of us.

Hei Yosem --

I understand the skepticism, John, but we're the real deal, when
it comes to trying to do the opposite of what these corporate,
commercial networks do. And we'd be lucky to have you on Nettime
join us in our attempt to reinvent the social web.

Actually not being sceptical at all -- IRC was/is the precursor
to everything network social (in concert with email and Usenet).
Certainly for file-sharing, and synchronous communications, it led the
way from 1989 onwards until a few years ago...

For me there are more fundamental issues at stake than 'which platform
will win' -- dot.com or dot.net or whatever. Core is the deep
problematic divide of giving life-time attention to screens and not to
the human most proximal to you. (Especially given the decay of civil
society as one can witness day-to-day in the developed world).

jh