Timothy Druckrey on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 04:01:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Friedrich Kittler

No doubt lengthy paeans will be forthcoming from the Kittler
scholars. They will be, of course, well deserved for a thinker whose
work traversed so many spheres. For us in the media, Kittler's work
has been an indispensable source of rigor and insight. Back in 1987,
I read the first chapter of Gramophone, Film, Typewriter in the
journal October. After that, his name surfaced in many sources and I
read everything I could find with voracious interest. He was
regularly in the media festivals and his intense presence was a stark
challenge to the kind of idiosyncratic history that was/is still so
prevalent in the media sphere.

Uncompromising and prodigious, Kittler's works evinced an analytical
force that came with unsparing lucidity. Few contrived accounts could
match his astute autopsies. Kittler embraced history from both ends
and wrung from it meanings that analytical amateurs could never
fathom. At home with Pink Floyd and Pynchon, Volta and Virilio,
Edison and Euclid, Helmholz and Heidegger, Shannon and the
pre-Socratics, Foucault and Frege, Turing and Thucydides, Wagner and
Weiner, etc,. Kittler dissected history with exacting precision.
Under the veneers of comfortable historiography, Kittler discerned
systems and unscrambled ciphers that identified not mere
archaeological tidbits but the anatomy and circulatory systems for
the mobilization of discourses increasingly inscribed by technologies
whose effect would radically alter our 'so-called' (one of his
favorite phrases) communication horizon. He knew so well the link
between militarism and media, power and information, philosophy and
poetry, reading and really reading.

His wit was often obscure, his arguments targeted with intimidating
precision, his ideas formidable and elucidated with the kind of
certainty that remain a challenge to anyone representing themselves
as media historians or theorists. No one in our field can avoid the
continuing reverberations of his ideas, the on-going influence of the
many scholars who have followed, studied with, or have seriously
studied his work.

Years ago at the Ars Electronica conference InfoWar, Paul Virilio
participated remotely by videoconference. Just after, I spoke with
Kittler who said in his reluctant English "he always brings water to
my eyes." Well, we were outside the Brucknerhaus smoking at the time
so maybe it was just a little smoke in the eyes. Nah. It wasn't then
for him and it isn't now for all of us.