Joseph Rabie on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 04:13:08 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Are Mobiles a Capitalist Plot to Keep the Poor Poor?

Hallo,

Mobiles are just another product with a profit margin.
A better question might be "Is Capitalism a Plot to Keep the Poor Poor"?
The capitalists would say "of course not", "if everyone is poor where will our profits come from?"

This brings us to the discussion of the 99% vs the 1% or the 67% vs the 33% that has been going on on this list.

The capitalists are looking for the golden mean where the percentage of solvent clients maximises consumption revenue while it minimises production costs.

They don't care if African farmers use their phones to call up the local store or to speculate on grain futures. (Or maybe they do, capitalists are the ones with the true heart of darkness).

Joe.

Le 28 nov. 2011 à 13:45, Eugenio Tisselli a écrit :

> Michael,
>
> Your question is not only provocative, but also quite interesting. And
> I am not sure if it can be answered with a firm "no", as you do in
> your blog post.There are many different types of development projects
> that integrate mobile technologies into their core practices, and not
> all of them are very thoughtfully designed. I am seriously researching
> this field, with a special focus on projects applied to agriculture. I
> am collecting some case studies in my blog:
>
> http://sautiyawakulima.net/research
 <...>