dan mcquillan on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 03:27:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> 'crowdsourcing versus containment' workshop featuring anti-kettling app Sukey (london; monday 5-12)

dear nettimers, a workshop in london that may be of interest. dan

You are invited to a workshop at Goldsmiths with @samthetechie,
co-founder of anti-kettling app Sukey.

Sukey is a web app that is designed to keep people safe, mobile and
informed during demonstrations. It emerged the night before the
student protest in November 2010 and is now being developed as an open
source tool for any demonstration.

In this workshop with we'll get under the hood to explore what coding
& design decisions were made and why, and we'll discuss the future for
Sukey in an world of #occupy movements.

More broadly, what are the different ways that software can be
developed for social and political movements and what are the
different kinds of knowledge, organisation and information that need
to be brought together in order to make such systems work well? What
are the problems introduced by 'informationalising' protest and direct
action and how do software and politics change when they are brought
together in such ways.

Free event; all welcome!
VENUE: Room 326, New Academic Building, Goldsmiths, University of
London, New Cross, London, SE14 6NW

App: http://sukey.org/
Code: http://snarl.github.com/
Signup: http://sukeyatgoldsmiths.eventbrite.com/