Sam Dwyer on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 04:32:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale

We must compassionately consider the plight of the inane and opinionated as not a choice, but as a sad, symptomatic consequence of the capricious capitalist mechanism. All too frequently, surplus idleness is thrust upon those who are ill-prepared to receive the burden.

Can you not understand the pain?

It reminds me of this tragic tale that was shared with me several years ago by someone who suffered similarly:

"One day, I was an intellectual worker, and I was free. I could wander around the garden, and watch the telly. The next day, the nice old man who let me live at his home died. I was very sad. Then, some other men, accompanied by a black poodle, came and told me that if I wanted to stay, I had to write a paper about what people on the other side of town were doing. I'd never been out of the house before. My world suddenly felt very uncertain, and I was unhappy. I began to quiver and quake with fear and despair. Tears streamed down my face; the poodle licked them. 'Damn you and your cur!' I screamed, though, truth be told I was comforted by it's thick, silky hair. One of the men took pity on me. He whispered a deal into my ear, and I accepted. Fifteen minutes later, sore, I walked, across a pond, and into the sky."

On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:06 PM, Margaret Morse wrote:

> Dear Morlock,
> Do you actually not understand the difference between selling your physical body and choosing to write inane academic papers?

<...>