Morlock Elloi on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:31:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale

There ia another dimension to this issue that is being somewhat ignored.

Sex for cash is the first instance of P2P in social networking, bypassing the centralised control of social servers of family and marriage, thus avoiding license fees. Like in digital P2P, where you get content for the cost of bandwidth, in commercial sex you get sex for the cost of fucking. Which, of course, enrages various authorities and their cronies and beneficiaires with vested interests.

Prosecution of P2P piracy also shows striking similarities to prosecution strategies in commercial sex: while providers are the main target, the recipients are also sometimes punished to set an example.