zB on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:33:43 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stadium ban for EU hooligans undermines civil rights

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 22:34, Tjebbe van Tijen
<tjebbe@imaginarymuseum.org>wrote:

> Stadium ban for EU hooligans undermines civil rights
>
> February 3, 2012 by Tjebbe van Tijen
>
> the illustrated and documented version with links can be found at:
>
> http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/stadium-ban-for-eu-hooligans-undermines-civil-rights/
 <...>

Dear Tjebbe, this is excellent analysis of a two hugely problematic sport
related topics (tackling football hooliganism next to homophobia and
racism) and institutional mechanics around it. I can not help but to notice
that these kind of actions and policies are possible very much also due to
lack of information and interest in what is happening in the contemporary
sport and therefore lack of continuous critical and creative engagement
with the field of sport.

My personal long-time interest in queering of sport on grass root level
since many years and recently through academic research led me to
interesting discoveries how apparently affirmative and positive 'civil
rights' and emancipatory sport movements have been normalized and
institutionalized. Activists/Artists/Academics make few sporadic claims in
the field of sport that left to its own vices ends up being reduced to
managerial logic of finance and administration "experts".

Personally I also tried to intervene on another occasion and more symbolic
level with Mr Aboutaleb
http://www.QueerSport.info/Dear-Mr-Ahmed-Aboutaleb<http://www.queersport.info/Dear-Mr-Ahmed-Aboutaleb>
and
on more practical level in organizing a platform of
Activist/Academic/Artistic reflection-creation-action on tensions of Sport
and LGBTQ realities
http://www.queersport.info/art-call-tensions-sport-lgbtq-realities

Best, zB