Newmedia on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 22:33:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The $100bn Facebook question: Will capitalism survive

Allan:

The TOTALITARIANISM of "capitalism" is simply that *everything* has a
PRICE.

Therefore, many people are "naturally" obsessed with *prices* and, often
enough, those who tend to spend their lives focused on "justice" also fall
into  conversation about how Facebook can "justify" its own price (which of
course it  can't) -- which then becomes the question of whether such an
obvious  "injustice" will impinge on the "survival of capitalism."

As nearly everyone knows -- particularly in the technology and financial
worlds where I have worked most of my life -- Facebook is NOT "worth" $100B
and,  accordingly, over time, its share price will decline to reflect this
"fact."

What has also been weaving its way through the discussion is the notion
that a) capitalism has already stopped :"surviving" and b) what actually
happens  on Facebook (i.e. the lack of any actual "market economy" despite the
desperate  drive to generate "likes") -- which is *why* the IPO price is
ridiculous  (other than in the usual supply/demand for "hot" stock sense) --
might  point to *why* capitalism isn't "working" anymore.

So, the Facebook IPO situation is being used as an elaborate metaphor for
all the other subjects that people actually want to talk about.

Make sense?

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY

In a message dated 3/10/2012 9:49:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,