Erich M. on Mon, 2 Apr 2012 02:13:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The (Letter-) Post Office's last stand ... in Florida(WSJ)

On 03/30/2012 01:57 PM, John Young wrote:

> The postal system remains the most secure public communication
> system for all its faults and invasive letter opening and craven
> cooperation with official spies and their corporate cohorts.

Servus John et al,

Ack to all you wrote with a single exception, squire John. The first
paragraph ought to be in past tense. I just started digging into that
topic, what I already know is: Address scanning/reading in, applying 2-D
Codes and timestamps at every stage of transportation. When post office
cars or private delivery services stop in front of my house here in .AT
my signature is performed on an electronic pad.

At first sight I'd say massive datasets generated by snail mail and
packet sorting and processing systems are generously inviting companies
to spy on each other and combat competitors abroad. Analysis of delivery
cycles, timely detection of hostile marketing campaigns, tracking and
blocking delivery of goods under patent/copyright claims or whatever the
clone offsprings of ancient DMCA ACTA/TPP/SOPA/PIPA require.

What a nice topic to dig - ahem - to dive into, methinks. Not forgetting
my nose clamp I remain
humbly yours
Erich M.

> All digital comsec is faulty -- by design so its designers say to
> aid sysadministration and security/privacy updates. No official
> agency has ever had such intimate sustained access to those
> willing to barter digital hawking-gawking for instant full-body
> cat-scan diagnosis.
 <...>

--
http://fm4.ORF.at/erichmoechel