nettime's_roving_reporter on Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:02:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> From MPAA and Verizon to ISOC

     Paul Brigner: ISOC's amazing flexible man
     Seth Johnson: Brigner flunks on NN [Net Neutrality]

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 23:44:20 -0700
To: privacy-list@vortex.com
Subject: [ PRIVACY Forum ]  Paul Brigner: ISOC's amazing flexible man

Paul Brigner: ISOC's amazing flexible man
http://j.mp/Ho8dWB  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

You may recall some days ago I expressed surprise at ISOC's hiring
of Paul Brigner for a key role.  CNET discussed aspects of this
controversial appointment at the time:

http://j.mp/H6IWPT  (CNET)

Mr. Brigner when at Verizon was publicly opposed to Net Neutrality.
When at the MPAA -- where he was before the ISOC hiring -- he
specifically spoke and blogged in favor of PIPA legislation --
apparently expressing his own views, not just those of his employer.
And all of these views in question would appear to be in direct
conflict with ISOC positions.

Now comes word that Brigner has become a foe of the SOPA/PIPA approach that
he was vigorously endorsing such a short time ago.  Fascinating.
And how very convenient:

http://j.mp/Ho7nsS  (CNET)

Of course people can have a genuine change of heart, sometimes
dramatically.  On the other hand, the great satirist Tom Lehrer wrote
a song about a famous technologist whose views were those of ...
expediency.

I don't know Mr. Brigner personally.  I'm not in a position to see
into his head, or his heart.  =

But I still find it remarkable, with all the qualified people available
who have been stalwartly supporting ISOC positions for many years, that
ISOC made this particular choice -- and I have to wonder why.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com): http://www.vortex.com/lauren =

Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility: http://www.pfir.org =

Founder:
 - Data Wisdom Explorers League: http://www.dwel.org
 - Network Neutrality Squad: http://www.nnsquad.org =

 - Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance: http://www.gctip.=
org
 - PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com =

Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren / Twitter: http://vortex.com/t-lauren =

Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com