Keith Hart on Thu, 17 May 2012 12:08:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Capitalism is FINISHED -- As a Result of the Internet!

I broadly agree with this comment. In order to grasp the historicity
of our moment of communications, we need to see the interaction of
several layers at once. I prefer this to the binary or "revolutionary"
approach, before and after, now and then as paired negation.

I would add that each individual or group inserts themsleves into the
social and technical movement at a particular point in time with a
bundle of assets and drawbacks in terms of skills, experience, online
history and offline engagements. It is how these are combined and
the character of our ongoing engaement with the medium that makes
different aspects of digital social life distinctive for each of us.
Some people hate Facebook and want to undermine its seedy monopoly.
Fair enough, but for now I have good use for it. I am less concerned
with privacy than some because I grew up in a working class community
after the war and so on. I offer the young geeks a vision of their
place in history and they help me out as I stumble through a medium
they grew up with. How could any economy be one thing, especially the
digital economy?

Keith

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Morlock Elloi
<morlockelloi@yahoo.com>wrote:<https://www.boxbe.com/anno?tc=11367599719_1168563466&dom>