nettime's_tout on Fri, 18 May 2012 20:32:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> kick me digest [x2: lafia, brace]

marc Lafia <marclafia2@gmail.com>
     our world is teeming with empires: on networks, histories and
{ brad brace } <bbrace@eskimo.com>
     kickstart

Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 15:04:08 -0400
Subject: our world is teeming with empires: on networks, histories and
From: marc Lafia <marclafia2@gmail.com>

greetings

Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: { brad brace } <bbrace@eskimo.com>
Subject: kickstart

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bbrace/global-islands-project

Global Islands Project -- ongoing series of multi-media
pdf-ebooks/field-recordings -- a pastoral, pictorial and phonic
elicitation of island parameters. An intensive examination of small
islands and their paradigmatic solutions to globalism... Ethnographically
a shared world of historical experience -- not the romanticized and
divided universe of them and us.

Your feudal-world is based on mutual relief at your common corruption.
Maybe some cultures are based on even worse. But that wouldn't change the
bad faith of it and as years go by, you wake at night in terror of your
whole life being an act of bad faith, where everything is self-interest
and nothing more, where every human interaction is driven by a silent,
even subconscious calculation of some ulterior motive, to the point that a
sea of bad faith has taken over your whole life, there's no small island
left from which you can even try to build a bridge of good faith, because
even that effort becomes suspect, even good faith is nothing but
self-interested, even altruism is nothing but solipsistic, even your
professed agonizing right here right now is nothing but a gesture, made to
the conscience in order to assure it that it exists.

http://bradbrace.net/id.html
http://bbrace.net/id.html

Island 1.0 is Ambergris Caye, Belize
Island 2.0 is Koh Si Chang, Thailand
Island 3.0 is Lamu, Kenya
Island 4.0 is Narikel Jingira, Bangladesh
Island 5.0 is Isla Mais, Nicaragua
Island 6.0 are The Grenadines, West Indies
Island 7.0 is Hateruma (Yaeyama), Japan
Island 8.0 is Waya (Yasawa), Fiji

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bbrace/global-islands-project