Geert Lovink on Mon, 9 Jul 2012 09:42:25 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> artistic director of dOCUMENTA 13 welcomes occupy movement

Carolyn Christov-Bakargiev, Artistic Director of dOCUMENTA (13), welcomes the »occupy« movement and appreciates their ability to care 20
for the spaces they occupy.

»I welcome the »doccupy« movement in Friedrichsplatz, which has grown over the last weeks. It continues the wave of democratic protests that have been spreading across many cities in the world. It enacts the possibility of re-inventing the use of public space and appears to me to be in the spirit of the moment and in the spirit of Joseph Beuys who marked documenta and its history significantly, embodying another idea of collective decision making and political responsibility through direct democracy.

With this welcome, I also want to affirm the abilities of the people involved to care for the square, and to take responsibility for the space that they have the right to occupy, to consider the City of Kassel and the other visitors of documenta in a worldly spirit of germination and flourishing«.