John Stillframe on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:18:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: e-flux's vision for the .art domain

Dear Nettimers,

e-flux is a for-profit venture that sells announcements for         .
exhibitions, events, etc for considerable amounts. The so-called    .
"announcement" service is not free and runs an enterprise that like .
other similar capitalist ventures funnels some cash into arts and   .
culture. The threat of venture capitalists claiming the .art is not .
that greater than any other organization. Already other top domain  .
names belong to various other business ventures and other wise.     .
This is definitely not a Good-Samaritan gesture as is portrayed (oh .
a nice little artist run organization in the lower-east side) But   .
while there is nothing wrong with making $$ in a capitalist society .
and e-flux or any other for-profit enterprise can cash in on .art   .
or any other thing for that matter, what is strange is using a free .
platform for a global community of thinkers such as nettime and ask .
for their support for a highly profitable financial investment.     .
If anything, the benefits of such domain going to the public, for   .
instance NEA in the US (or other similar public organizations       .
elsewhere) , is indisputable. The least is that the money that      .
e-flux or any other institution whose .art bid will be taken will go.
to artist grants, and support of artistic practices at large        .

JSTILL