Prem Chandavarkar on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:04:10 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> crowd-funding on nettime

One way to look at it is from the viewpoint of information symmetry. When a forum revolves purely around ideas, then once the idea comes into the public domain of the forum everyone has an equal relationship to it. So the forum is founded on high levels of information symmetry. Monetary transactions however, even when they are mutually beneficial to all, are essentially asymmetrical. It may not seem to be a big issue right now, but what would happen if over time the initial crowd funding posts on Nettime achieved a level of success that they began to outnumber the posts aimed at exchange of ideas?  I would prefer to preserve the essential character of this forum by keeping it dedicated toward high information symmetry.

Prem

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and typing errors

On 27-Aug-2012, at 4:51 PM, nettime's_mod_squad <nettime@kein.org> wrote:

> Hi, Nettimers --
>
> It should come as no surprises that over the last few years, a growing
> number of people have sent crowd-funding announcements to this list.
> It hasn't been a steady rise, and the frequency is hardly significant
> -- one every few months at most. But, amidst a global trend of funding
> cuts in arts and culture settings, it seems likely that we'll see
> more. Some of them will be very deserving. Some.
 <...>