Keith Sanborn on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:33:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> crowd-funding on nettime

Allow me to differ:

Here it is not a matter of moral purity and the taint of money, but money does change social relations. If you want to test this, just go for an evening out with your old school chums.

On this list, solicitations for funding, whether anyone judges them worthy or unworthy, function as noise in the system, or worse. There are echoes of Chicago School Googlenomics in the appeal to allowing list readers to choose. The is the same logic which promotes vouchers for social services in order to preserve the illusion of free market economic choice while degrading the quality of the social services but preserving the sanctity of Capitalism and a fetishized belief that the profit motive is a good in itself.

Crowd-sourcing is a form of advertising based on an appeal to social pseudo-solidarity. Unlike other speech acts on this list, it has carries a moral imperative or moral coercion to a specific economic behavior, like any form of begging. The discussion of social and economic relations have never been off-limits on this list. Excluding the solicitation of funds is not the same as same as excluding a discussion of them.

I get enough junk mail already. I wd prefer not to have to filter the emails I receive from Nettime. There is a reason for "moderating" a list. I believe that allowing solicitations for money wd derail the list utterly.

Keith Sanborn

On Aug 28, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Christopher Leslie <chrisleslie01@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Keith's response is phrased particularly well. A conversation that does not overtly involve money is still funded in some way …  otherwise there would be no way to use a network to send it and receive it and we would not have the leisure to participate.
 <...>