Geert Lovink on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:54:41 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> are you mega?

Dear nettimers,

are you also following what is going in NZ wiht Mega, Kim Dotcom's latest project? Curious will this is heading...

Best, Geert

---

"We are a dedicated group of technologists who were given the time, opportunity and Internet access to build an awesome cloud storage service that will help protect your privacy. We have programmed this Internet service from scratch in Auckland, New Zealand. Unlike most of our competitors, we use a state of the art browser based encryption technology where you, not us, control the keys. Our design group includes Kim Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk, and Finn Batato. Our CEO, industry veteran Tony Lentino, has experience running a renowned global domain registry. We hope you like it."

"No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference." Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 12

MEGA is Cloud Storage with Powerful Always-On Privacy
MEGA provides robust cloud storage with convenient and powerful always- on privacy. MEGA believes in your right to privacy and provides you with the technology tools to protect it. We call it User Controlled Encryption, or UCE, and it happens automatically.

What is MEGA User Controlled Encryption?
All files stored on MEGA are encrypted. All data transfers from and to MEGA are encrypted. And while most cloud storage providers can and do claim the same, MEGA is different – unlike the industry norm where the cloud storage provider holds the decryption key, with MEGA, you control the encryption, you hold the keys, and you decide who you grant or deny access to your files, without requiring any risky software installs. It’s all happening in your web browser!

MEGA Future
The MEGA cloud is just the beginning. In the future, MEGA will provide UCE in your browser for a wide range of applications without the need to install anything. Our technology will protect your emails, calls, chats and video streams.