Felix Stalder on Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:12:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Bitcoin, the end of the Taboo on Money

I guess it all depends if you see "the state" as being capable of
expressing something like the common interest. If so, then capture
by financial and other economic interests is a corruption of that
principle and one needs to fight politically against that corruption.
This is, basically, a liberal/social-democratic position.

Or, if you see "the state" inherently tied to dominant interests and
therefore working against the interests of the majority. And then, the
current state of affairs would be merely a more open display of what
which is normal, though usually less well visible. This is, basically,
the anarchist/libertarian position.

If you believe the latter, then I think one of the difficulties lies
in how to fight "the state" (say, through promoting bitcoin) without
falling onto the trap of promoting the market as the alternative form
of marco-coordination (which is what US-type libertarians advocate).

Felix

PS: I put "the state" in quotation marks because of the difficulty of
drawing clear boundaries around any such entities. Do privately-run
but publicly-mandated and -subsidized daycare centers (kitas, in
German) belong to the state?