wolfie christl on Sat, 18 May 2013 08:35:22 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Facebook as a Facebook Game

Dear nettime,

we´re a group of developers, open source evangelists, activists,
theorists and artists - mainly based in Vienna, Austria. Please consider
the following game as a contribution to an "immanent net critique".
We´ve been working hard on that for the last 2 years.
http://datadealer.com

"Privacy? Screw that. Turn the tables! Become a data dealer and get all
the dirty details on your friends, neighbors and the rest of the world.
Learn how to trick your users and make cash with their personal data!"

"Data Dealer" is a critical online/impact game about digital culture and
collecting, processing and selling personal data.
[to play it Facebook is not required]

In the digital age virtually everything we do is recorded, monitored or
tracked in some way. Nearly every device we use today is connected to
the Internet. Due to the rapid evolution of ICT the collecting,
processing and exploitation of personal data has become part of all
areas of life. Emerging businesses in the fields of social media, mobile
applications and online marketing specialized in making commercial use
of personal data.

In "Data Dealer" players run all kinds of companies and online ventures
- from dating sites, mobile apps to search engines and their own social
web. On the way to becoming the world's most powerful data tycoon, they
obtain data from a variety of sources – whether legal or illegal - and
ruthlessly sell it to insurance companies or human resources
departments. Their growing data empires have to be defended against
hackers, complaining citizens, critical media and pesky privacy activists.

Data Dealer is based on extensive research. We´ve published a 15 pages
summary:
http://datadealer.com/datadealer_backgrounds_research.pdf

We're curious to hear what you think about it.

Cheers from Vienna
Wolfie